• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Knaider in action

Peterk1234

I will post up a better video once I have a family member around to video it for me but in the meantime, here is what I have. Using a linemans belt really makes it nicer. You can lean against it and use your arms to even lift your leg to help hook on the step if you want. But the best thing is, I no longer have to tie a step above my head. I initially put these steps in place using The Knaider and only setting one at a time at belly button height. Super easy and plenty fast to setup for me. Much easier to adjust the tension when the step is below your head (not that it was overly hard with the improved knot method).

I need to make some improvements, like something better to keep in place on my foot; and I think I want use a cam buckle instead of a side release. I think the cam buckle will allow me to tighten around my skinny legs a bit better. Otherwise, I am convinced. It is my favorite way to use an aider with the step. I am looking forward to others trying this and coming up with improvements.

One more thought; putting the shrink tubing on the hook to silence it.

Last edited:
Good video. I'm looking forward to trying it myself. It sounds like you are getting some incidental contact with the hook and stepp. I would cover it with something.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good video. I'm looking forward to trying it myself. It sounds like you are getting some incidental contact with the hook and stepp. I would cover it with something.

Agreed. The metal on metal creates some noise. I did not pick up on it when climbing but the vid makes it obvious. I just ordered five feet of heat shrink tubing. I think it will do the job. I can always wrap the step as well. Heck, everything on them other than the cross bar is already taped up to keep them quiet when stacking them.

Nice video. The knaider definitely shows promise. I like that it is secured to your foot and moves up the tree with you as opposed to several sets of individual aiders.

I really want to try this with a bunch of cold weather gear. This looks like it's going to work well for that.

About 18 feet. 6 plus my platform get me to 24 feet. The goal is to use only six steps when hunting.

Weather permitting, this afternoon I will try using my whoopie aider and The Knaider together. I think I could set steps five apart, use the whoopie for the first move, The Knaider for the second. Four steps would get me 20 feet. Not sure it is really needed because the setup of six steps is pretty smooth. I am sure it will work, it will be an analysis of risk vs. reward. Pete

Last edited:
About 18 feet. 6 plus my platform get me to 24 feet. The goal is to use only six steps when hunting.

Weather permitting, this afternoon I will try using my whoopie aider and The Knaider together. I think I could set steps five apart, use the whoopie for the first move, The Knaider for the second. Four steps would get me 20 feet. Not sure it is really needed because the setup of six steps is pretty smooth. I am sure it will work, it will be an analysis of risk vs. reward. Pete
I've settled on six as well. I thought I posted a long explanation last night before bed in this thread but I don't see it. Anyway, I hunt a fair amount at over 30 feet, but also at conventional heights and lower. Six steps gets me to ~40 feet at largest spacing, ~22 feet at smallest spacing. This gives me a lot of options with heavily limbed and leaning trees (or parts of the tree) when my larger aider based spacing doesn't make sense.

Less than six steps forces you into aider assisted for a larger portion of the stem to get to target height. That is another thing I hated about sticks and aiders. If I wanted to add the flexibility to get to 30+ feet without using the aiders to the extent, I would need to 2 additional sticks and the sticks (then) were bulky and somewhat heavy to begin with.

Yes. What if you made a long aider with a single rung that attached directly to the Stepp? First, you would step onto the single step aider, then the next step would be with the knaider. I bet you could get to 20+ feet with 4 Stepp ladders. That would be legit! This has real potential.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I'm 5'7". If I tied each Stepp at eye level, my 4th step would be at 20' I'd carry 5 steps to get me to 25' on virtually any tree in the woods. I could use the top Stepp as my platform or carry an extra. That's roughly 6 pounds to get to 25'. Tough to beat.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Does it hurt when all the pressure is just below your knee? Seems like it would be pressing up under your kneecap??
Or maybe not because it is also under your foot? Strap wont stretch ... this is a pretty interesting idea.

Does it hurt when all the pressure is just below your knee? Seems like it would be pressing up under your kneecap??
Or maybe not because it is also under your foot? Strap wont stretch ... this is a pretty interesting idea.
Pressure is on the backside of your leg on the top strap since you are hanging away from the tree.

Ok @g2outdoors , ask and you shall receive. Here it is with an aider added into the mix...................

20 feet with four steps. I think I like it. I could go with five or six step now and use my top step and one more around the tree for a platform like you suggested. I can handle setting up two for a platform. Any more is just a bitch.

That's amazing! I think when I do it, I'll add an Amsteel aider to each Stepp. To me, that's a small weight penalty for a big increase in speed and user friendliness.

Thank for the video. I'm loving the Knaider more and more!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

That's amazing! I think when I do it, I'll add an Amsteel aider to each Stepp. To me, that's a small weight penalty for a big increase in speed and user friendliness.

Thank for the video. I'm loving the Knaider more and more!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Hmm..... gotta see if I have any left lying around for at least one step. Are you thinking 1/8 inch or 1/4? Just concerned about abrasion. My whoopie aider has a piece of webbing that is also wrapped in duct tape.

I'd probably go smaller than 1/4 just to save weight. Plus 1/4 is probably overkill for this purpose. Also, abrasion shouldn't be an issue with an aider. It's not touching the tree at all. More than likely I'd just larkshead it to each step rung.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Ok @g2outdoors , ask and you shall receive. Here it is with an aider added into the mix...................

20 feet with four steps. I think I like it. I could go with five or six step now and use my top step and one more around the tree for a platform like you suggested. I can handle setting up two for a platform. Any more is just a bitch.

So what if instead of hanging an aider from each step you added a knaider to the other leg but, instead of the hook being at your knee it was extended up to your waist and attached to your belt with a retractable leash? You could then connect the hook at waist level to the step, put your weight in the aider, step up and connect the knaider on your other leg to the step. When you stood up on the next step the retractable leash would probably lift the waist level hook off of the step. This way you are wearing both aiders and nothing has to be moved from step to step. Worth a try?

Back