• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The little engine that could.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
@huck72412 I liked your original bio on the tethrd website better. I can’t think of anything to pick on you about today. How about posting that story of your first deer here.

It was the fall of 1985 somewhere around late October when my dear ole dad decided to turn me loose for the first time with a rifle. The spot was nothing special, a small oak flat between a pine thicket and a really tall hardwood ridge. I remember being so pumped as we crept through the woods approaching the rickety wooden stand that I would occupy alone with my Savage Arms bolt action 30.30 and a whistle that my dad had given me. When we got to the tree he gave me very specific instructions. They sounded like this.... " listen closely bud, if you shoot and you don't hit the deer but you are ok , blow the whistle once" " If you shoot and you hit the deer, blow the whistle twice and I'll come right over ". I repeated the instructions back to him and climbed up into the stand. God Bless him, I know he was a wreck when he headed off to his spot but he had to go. It was time and he knew it. I'd estimate about an hour after daylight I saw two small deer feeding across the oak flat. At about 75 yds one of them ( button buck ) would fatefully choose a trail that led straight to me. He slowly fed to about 40 yds before I shot. He spun and ran only a few yards before he fell over. I remember grabbing the whistle from my pocket and blowing as hard as I could. It seemed like days before my dad came sprinting down the ridge toward my tree. 12 people hunted on 1100 acres that morning and all agree that if I blew that whistle once then I blew it 500 times. For me it was a blur. No doubt my fondest deer hunting memory of all time. Thanks Pop !!!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I read the first 3 sentences and said "oh crap, his father was rattling and he shot him"...Glad I read the whole thing. Great story, even better memory I'm sure. Thaks for sharing @huck72412 .

I'm not gonna lie, I read the first 3 sentences and said "oh crap, his father was rattling and he shot him"...Glad I read the whole thing. Great story, even better memory I'm sure. Thaks for sharing @huck72412 .
My favorite story ever is how Meriwether Lewis got shot in the buttocks while elk hunting. You KNOW there was some sh#t-talking for the rest of that trip!

First time I read it I couldn’t help but imagine a young (but still bald) huck sitting in the tree blowing all heck out of that whistle.

Great story. I had to read it twice because I was just thinking of how excited I got on my first deer.

Back