• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The SNEAK hitch: A metal free, releasable loop girth hitch for tethers.

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
So, I will give a disclaimer that what I'm presenting looks dangerous and scary. If you are a new hunter or climber be aware that this is not "safe" by all traditional standards that have a full rope pass through of a loop or quicklink, V3 quickie, or carabiner. Please learn and use all safe traditional methods FIRST before possibly imitating this!
This however, if done exactly as I demonstrated in the following videos and more to come, is, I believe, safe.
However, if you in any way attempt to copy it you do so at your own risk and ability to tie knots right and check your work.
Please practice EXTENSIVELY at ground level and prove it for yourself though before bashing it too hard... :)
This is what I use and am comfortable with after extensive practice and testing as you will see in the following videos.
I am trying to only need the 3 carabiners for my two bridges and footloop. All else is rope.

Last edited:
First video is me using it in a 2TC climb. Both the top and foot tether are using the same system.

Test 2, a 24" ++ fall on the special knot and girth hitch.

I am prepared for serious doubts and questions about the safety of this idea. I do ask that you attempt to tie it and hang on it first before saying I'm gonna get people killed. You also may just shake your head and ignore it...I understand.
This is a somewhat new idea (I think...let me know if I'm wrong) so I do appreciate the real feedback and advice.
Folks climb on mechanical ascenders, rappel devices, and even new knots that may look unsafe to an inexperienced person but after time and trust has developed, we understand their limitations and can rely on them. However, I have been developing this for some time now with alot of testing. I will be doing a couple more test videos on camera in the following week.

As a final intro post,
As explained in the video: the purpose is to make my system a little lighter, marginally faster than a quick link, but most of all, completely eliminates all metal/ carabiner clanking noise from the bridge and girth hitch pieces clanking each other.
I do tie a JRB hitch at the top which I then hunt on. I only use this for the climb up, and as you see in the 2TC video am always attached to both tethers should 1 fail. I know what a 3 foot fall feels like and don't enjoy it very much. I keep very little slack in my system as well.

Nice idea on the girth hitch, looks very secure once tightened up, not getting any sound on the videos.

I want to highlight two or three thoughts… One I see no issue on a cinching girth hitch as a metal free quick connect option as long as you have a way to keep it tightened on the knot. To me it’s very much like the soft shackle idea guys were doing a few years ago. As long as the eye stays closed on the knot (soft shackle guys using a castration band to keep it tight around the knot until tensioned) it’s as safe as any other eye tied with an overhand knot. I think it’s cool that you gave tailgunner and his saddle a shout out as well. I want to say in your fall, you looked to be around a 1.25:1 fall factor which is scary, but (whether on purpose or not) you did seem to jump outward instead of falling straight down. As was discussed in the ropeman thread, that is more of a swing fall versus a straight fall which helps you reduce force. I wouldn’t suggest falling straight down to showcase your system because like I said, I believe it is a safe metal free option if tied and tensioned correctly. However I would not want to be you in 5 or 10 years because you’re gonna have some seriously messed up back or neck discs from purposely shock loading your body like that lol. Great videos though and good job on showcasing this quick connect idea.

I want to highlight two or three thoughts… One I see no issue on a cinching girth hitch as a metal free quick connect option as long as you have a way to keep it tightened on the knot. To me it’s very much like the soft shackle idea guys were doing a few years ago. As long as the eye stays closed on the knot (soft shackle guys using a castration band to keep it tight around the knot until tensioned) it’s as safe as any other eye tied with an overhand knot. I think it’s cool that you gave tailgunner and his saddle a shout out as well. I want to say in your fall, you looked to be around a 1.25:1 fall factor which is scary, but (whether on purpose or not) you did seem to jump outward instead of falling straight down. As was discussed in the ropeman thread, that is more of a swing fall versus a straight fall which helps you reduce force. I wouldn’t suggest falling straight down to showcase your system because like I said, I believe it is a safe metal free option if tied and tensioned correctly. However I would not want to be you in 5 or 10 years because you’re gonna have some seriously messed up back or neck discs from purposely shock loading your body like that lol. Great videos though and good job on showcasing this quick connect idea.
Thanks. You're right about the fall direction, I was really just jumping down and didn't consider whether it was out or not.... Thats my ninja course/daughter's zipline so its all I had for testing purposes.
BTW, I go to the trampoline park with my daughter twice a week, do backflips, rock-climbing, 30' waterfall diving etc...I'm only 34 i know, but I compliment all that with extreme stretching prior to any wild activity... and stretch out afterwards. I've been blessed to be very flexible and try to care for my body properly too. So those jumps were something I didn't give a second thought too because I've done numerous of them while developing this idea and testing its capabilities. Lol.
In real climbing I make sure to have as little slack as possible!

This fricken sam.all dialed in on a new system and i find out i can go all metal free.thats not gunna leave the back of my mind.and i need to find a way to use his turnicate

Got some updates and improvements from this last season coming....

Back