• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The trubled life a deer hunter

Exiled in MD

I voted early. It's very warm for November. It's breezy, raining and thunderstorms are in the forecast. It's also the whitetail rut. All this means is that I've been staring at my 3 weather apps since 4 AM waiting for the barometer to start going back up while looking for the "perfect" wind at any one of my 20 stand locations so that even if I get 2 hour window I'm there before the critters start moving after the storm! All of this while being asked by my better half, "What are you doing today?" This is the troubled life of a deer hunter...

What are you doing today? Or in other words: I've got some things you could be doing today.

Rankings of a saddle hunter
It seems like the rain never stops here and the corn never gets harvested and the deer stay in the corn forests all day long.
I have had my chances so far and literally blown opportunities.
I guess when you have only hunted five years there is a never ending learning curve
Shot at and cleanly missed a deer It was farther than I thought and I shot under it

Had a doe lined up for a kill in front of me one night and behold her sister was behind waiting and watching behind me until I moved and away she blew
Fun to learn. Now all I want is venison and no tag soup
Had a buck stomping at a Montana decoy for five minutes but he would not offer a clean shot Kind of a cool experience on how not to use a decoy

And then there is work to be done grand kids to see. Priorities other than deer hunting
Maybe a deer this week with the shotgun. Lots of competition this week. I guess I will go deeper in the swamp than the competition this week to spots I have scouted
At least I have seen deer and had some chances. My friend who has hunted all his life has 2

But his bait pile helps. He tempts me to try that
Another friend baits public and nailed an 11 pt
No bait for me yet but they have the deer and I am tempted
Even hunted in the rain in a nice covered stand with no saddle
Speaking of saddles - honestly I love the hybrid
I have not been skunked in 5 years of hunting but maybe this year or maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I feel your pain the corn won't come down. Actually the places it seems to be off is just out of range where I goose hunt. I blew opportunities several times the whole weekend. If you want a place other than Hullet theres some conservation land nearby that looks interesting there's a cut for an underground water pipe that runs from the North West to the South East.

Back