• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The waiting game....

Vtbow

Well I'm playing that game right now....just shot what I think is the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods. Been in the tree still 15 minutes....he ran about 100 yards then I lost him....every minute or soni hear a loud grunt or moan....never heard this before...I can see arrow with binos...blood on ground, but don't necessarily seenanynon fketching....giving it another 15 the climbing down to check arrow.....
Anyone ever hear anythingike that Before?

Awh man, that's gonna be a stressful wait. I have no experience with that but wanted to wish you luck in recovering. Where did you hit him?
I think 4" ish high. I had been watching him a 35yrds for almost 45 minutes....he finally cam into 25ish and I couldn't be any more patient. Broadside quartering towards slightly.......

Good luck! That waiting game is brutal.
I'm in for the pics!

Good luck on the recovery. I’ve had them moan or growl per say at impact but never later. Did have a button bucks ( my first deer) many years ago bawl its head off after I shot it though.

Meat...little blood...

Attachments

• 20201107_072746.jpg
    20201107_072746.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20201107_072728.jpg
    20201107_072728.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 110
Meat...little blood...
Ugh. I've had 2 arrows look like that. Neither had good outcomes. Things vary though, so stay positive. I will come help search if you want. I'll send you a PM.

I've had them bawl like that if you only get one lung so be sure to give him plenty of time before you start looking. If he gets up I is very likely you wont find him!!!! Time is your friend!!!

Meat...little blood...

There’s a lot of fat on there. Quartering to, where on the body? First thought from looking at it is brisket area, but quartering to a little doesn’t sound like that would make sense. There can be a lot of fat back in the upper abdominal cavity. Any signs of guts or clear fluid around the shot area? If it exited through fat it might wipe off other good sign. If he’s over there making that noise I’d leave him and come back. I think that’s a good sign you got something deadly. The question is how long. I’d say no sooner than 8 hours.

Are your temps as warm as ours are getting today?

If it was cold enough I’d say it can’t hurt to wait til first light tomorrow. This is a tough one cause he could die in 2 hours or 12.

65.... and the yours will get him in 3 hrs or less....

Back