• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The wind is always wrong. I need advice

Hunter260

Okay so I’ve got a great buck who has been steady comin in right before dark. Red circle is bedding area, blue is the path he usually walks. The stand I planned to shoot him from is on the right side of the picture. It’s a great setup if the wind is west/north west. A south wind starts to get sketchy because that can pull your scent into bedding. My question is every day for 2 weeks the wind is predicted to be East or south East. Would it be worthwhile to make a couple sits in the other stand located on the west end of the field? I think pretty low odds I shoot him there but may get more intel. Thoughts???

Attachments

• 646F63BF-A76C-4F2E-8436-330097DDF72F.jpeg
    646F63BF-A76C-4F2E-8436-330097DDF72F.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 100
It's always tough figuring stuff like this out, that's why he's bedded there! Do you know his exact bed? Can you move up closer to his trail so with a E or SE wind the wind will just skirt around his bedding location? Are there any topography changes you can use with a morning or evening thermal with little to no wind? If trees aren't great for sitting in an area, I often will just sit on the ground if the deer are going there. Good luck!

I would try to add as much scent control as possible, and climb higher if its an option. I know early in the season, I normally can't climb above 15' but later in the year 25' seems to get me out of their nose.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

If there isn't a bunch of pressure, I agree to be patient. If you have others that may ruin your opportunity then be more aggressive and try to slip up to that spot where he turns 90 degrees and try to catch him on the corner. Depending on the cover and terrain you may or may not want to try that because it'll put you close to him bedded. This is where saddles and quiet methods shine. No risk no reward. Good luck.

I assume that is the evening pattern that your sketch shows?
Do you know his morning pattern back to his bed? Morning hunts in the early season are not as productive as the afternoon but you could have a shot if you beat him back to his bed. Can you find a rub line that shows his morning movement?

I like Kurt's suggestion set up on that 90 bend on the "outside corner" with a North or East or Northeast wind. It looks like there is also a denser transition strip leading up to that corner that I like. Based on the setup here a southwest wind may work but you risk spooking other deer. The other stand location you have marked to the east seems to far away from bedding to see him during daylight in the evening. Wait until the wind is right is my advice.

There a number of things you can throw at this fella. First, what's the terrain like?
Is there anything directing his movement in that manner.
I'd try a morning sit. I'd try to slip in his backdoor super early in the am. Get behind him coming home ahead of the wind, as hell more then likely use the wind to enter his bedding area. To do this this try to figure out a way to enter the area with the wind in your face, access from another property(with permission) if you have to.

Find the nearest water and hunt hot days.

Just try thinking outside of the box.

Back