• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The work saddle: an offseason must?

BackSpasm

SH Member
I have been really thinking about building a special "work" saddle for tree and site prep this off season. It would be missing bridge and loops entirely and only have lineman's loops. I would also include some attachment points/holders for tree trimming accessories, screw in steps, etc. That way I could have a super light and minimal system to use when doing stand prep and cleanup without having my bridge in the way or putting extra wear on my hunting rig. What do you guys think? I am thinking minimalist and light and light so that I could whip up a few to give to my buddies if we are out working together.

I would keep the bridge for use, it want weigh much and can be kept out of the way easy enough. It can be very handy if someone wants to hang a loc-on.

Other than if you are just building for fun, I just don't see how much weight you would really save. Also if I am out presetting stand locations (usually with my kids) usually one is up the tree and then the others are cutting/moving limbs. Plus if your hunting setup has molle loops then you would have plenty of attachments for your accessories. Just my thoughts. HOwever if you are looking for something to build for the fun of it then have at it.

I guess as a sidenote if you are building one then why not build one with a removable bridge, so that you could also use it for hunting?

I have been really thinking about building a special "work" saddle for tree and site prep this off season. It would be missing bridge and loops entirely and only have lineman's loops. I would also include some attachment points/holders for tree trimming accessories, screw in steps, etc. That way I could have a super light and minimal system to use when doing stand prep and cleanup without having my bridge in the way or putting extra wear on my hunting rig. What do you guys think? I am thinking minimalist and light and light so that I could whip up a few to give to my buddies if we are out working together.
Before I started saddle hunting I was running an RC harness for treestand safety. I now use that for prep work. So, I understand what you're getting at. Keep in mind, you can get a good RC harness for pretty cheap, and it's pre-assembled :)

Last edited:
Other than if you are just building for fun, I just don't see how much weight you would really save. Also if I am out presetting stand locations (usually with my kids) usually one is up the tree and then the others are cutting/moving limbs. Plus if your hunting setup has molle loops then you would have plenty of attachments for your accessories. Just my thoughts. HOwever if you are looking for something to build for the fun of it then have at it.

I guess as a sidenote if you are building one then why not build one with a removable bridge, so that you could also use it for hunting?

I already have a couple of hunting saddles. I’m thinking about a dedicated system made out of a thick canvas that will handle accidental saw blade scrapes etc better than my mesh and lightweight hunting rigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I started saddle hunting I was running an RC harness for treestand safety. I now use that for prep work. So, I understand what you're getting at. Keep in kind, you can get a good RC harness for pretty cheap, and it's pre-assembled :)

Yea I thought about this but was thinking I’ll get more comfort and utility from a dedicated saddle, I.e. I can just wear it around all day instead of the rch which won’t be as comfortable to walk from stand to stand or sit in

Not much simpler and not lighter than this...

Not much simpler and not lighter than this...

Now that is an interesting idea for this purpose. I’ve been following your wraith and wraptor developments but never considered this context.....

Now that is an interesting idea for this purpose. I’ve been following your wraith and wraptor developments but never considered this context.....

I used it to do presets and other tree stuff exclusively. You don't notice it while walking around and the bridge loops can hold a lot of gear while using the linesman to climb and install bolts and steps. My cordless drill held in one loop without anything additional tied to it.

Yea I thought about this but was thinking I’ll get more comfort and utility from a dedicated saddle, I.e. I can just wear it around all day instead of the rch which won’t be as comfortable to walk from stand to stand or sit in

My rock climbing harness is comfortable enough to hike around in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Or For $40 I’ll send you my treehopper linesman’s belt.

Back