• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Wraith

Bwhana

SH Member
Introducing my latest DIY saddle...the WRAITH.

My inner weight weenie kicked into gear after the Wraptor project and I started down the minimalist path. I tried various concepts, got input from the Wraptor Pro Staff (Barry, @KelvinM12, @Nutterbuster, @Wasp), and consulted with others from the site. @John Eberhart was a big inspiration; if he could use part of an Anderson for so many years, there had to be a simpler design that still works. This may be the lightest and simplest saddle out there that does not require an RCH backup. To paraphrase @DaveT1963, all saddles come down to just a couple of straps under your butt in the tree, and this certainly fits that model! So far in testing, it has similar comfort to the Wraptor, but I will be using a back band for most sits due to my torn disc. It is a little more comfortable for leaning than sitting. It feels 100x better than an RCH when used with a fleece saddle and that will be my main combo if it ever gets below 50 again here in my lifetime. NOTHING beats a fleece saddle for best comfort for me!

This saddle weighs in at less than 1/2 lb, uses a T hook for the belt buckle (only metal component), has dedicated linesman belt/loops and a belt (not load bearing!) to keep it in place while walking in and climbing. There are no molle loops because I do not like attaching anything to my saddles.

The other picture is a new Tethrd style back band I made from some leftover materials to go with the Wraith (thanks to @Erniepower for sharing the recent DIY video series for inspiration and @g2outdoors for all the DIY vids that planted saddle seeds that grew).

Components and measurements:

- 12 feet of mil spec 2" polyester webbing (a Wraptor kit from @DanO doublesteps.com for around $16 shipped will make 2 Wraiths)
- Main loop = 86" (allows a 6" sewn overlap, 40" finished saddle width)
- Front to back stiffeners = 20" x 2
- Center side to side piece (optional) = 10"
- 1" tubular climbing webbing for linesman (28" finished length from end to end)
- 1" flat nylon or polyester webbing for the belt (length to fit you)
- Tethrd T hook for belt
- 1" webbing tri-glide (or sew a loop for belt)
- bridge of your choosing (I am using amsteel)
- change these measurements to your desired sizing

The Wraptor / Wraith Pro Staff, is looking for new members, only costs $100/person, send $ to IWantToBeaWraptor@pay.bwhana. jk! If you already made a Wraptor, or make a Wraith, you're on the Pro Staff, so add that to your hunting resume and site signature, it sounds cool!

*** I WILL NOT MAKE OR SELL THESE FOR ANYONE ELSE. This information is provided for informational purposes only. I want to emphasize that anyone that decides to do this or a similar project should double check all of the suggested components and instructions and use at your own risk and comfort level and doing so means you assume all risk and liability. Proper sewing techniques using proper thread is imperative for safety!
2220b6383abd430b156fc7dca26295fe.jpg
b127dc0dc291affa488511fa3968730f.jpg
7a80a333439a8aa5c31fc72304120ec7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Talk about minimalist. I like it.

@ckossuth toyed around with the t-hook belt and it's AWESOME. Sooooooo easy to use. Obviously it's not load rated so you take on that risk. I love these DIY projects! That's how innovation happens!!!!

Yeah the simple T hook is awesome! But like G2 stated, it’s not load rated. It worked really well as long as I didn’t have a lot of weight on the saddle. If I started loading up SYS haulers and putting a fair amount of weight on my saddle, it just became a little bit more difficult to get on versus the Raptor buckle. Here’s how I’m running my T hook these days! LOL

6f04f2c9137bd5a5d83e5993b3d11f8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome. Can you post a pic with it on and hooked up to a tree tether?
Also, did I read your statement correctly that it’s 100x More comfortable than a fleece sling with RCH? I don’t see how that is possible unless you are keeping your RCH tight in your tree tether. I use a separate RCH tether and leave it just slightly looser than my tether for the fleece. That way I am only using the fleece to absorb weight/energy.

Looks awesome. Can you post a pic with it on and hooked up to a tree tether?
Also, did I read your statement correctly that it’s 100x More comfortable than a fleece sling with RCH? I don’t see how that is possible unless you are keeping your RCH tight in your tree tether. I use a separate RCH tether and leave it just slightly looser than my tether for the fleece. That way I am only using the fleece to absorb weight/energy.
I hated the leg loops and thicker belts on the Mammut Ophir and others I tried. When I sat it the fleece, it pushed them into me and created too many hot spots. I know there are some cheaper, flat web RCH's out there that would minimize that effect, but again, I dislike leg loops, so this is better for me at least. To each their own.

Yeah the simple T hook is awesome! But like G2 stated, it’s not load rated. It worked really well as long as I didn’t have a lot of weight on the saddle. If I started loading up SYS haulers and putting a fair amount of weight on my saddle, it just became a little bit more difficult to get on versus the Raptor buckle. Here’s how I’m running my T hook these days! LOL

6f04f2c9137bd5a5d83e5993b3d11f8d.jpg

You’ve been hanging around @flinginairos too much. Y’all always want to post a picture of your crotch or rear.

Hmm. I'm still using a bungee between my wraptor rings as a belt, and girth hitching a lineman's line to them/carabiner other side when needed. I like that you've basically simplified by getting rid of the rings & one of the wraptor loops. I've had to switch tracks toward a ghilie suddenly, due to my Doc telling me "don't climb with vertigo, idiot" (well, she didn't say the "idiot" part but it was implied)... but when I get to go back to hanging, I'll be making one of these with my leftover wraptor stuff.

Hmm. I'm still using a bungee between my wraptor rings as a belt, and girth hitching a lineman's line to them/carabiner other side when needed. I like that you've basically simplified by getting rid of the rings & one of the wraptor loops. I've had to switch tracks toward a ghilie suddenly, due to my Doc telling me "don't climb with vertigo, idiot" (well, she didn't say the "idiot" part but it was implied)... but when I get to go back to hanging, I'll be making one of these with my leftover wraptor stuff.
I hope that clears fast for you, my wife has battled it off and on for a while. Not a fun thing for anyone, but especially for tree dwellers in the fall!

Talk about minimalist. I like it.

@ckossuth toyed around with the t-hook belt and it's AWESOME. Sooooooo easy to use. Obviously it's not load rated so you take on that risk. I love these DIY projects! That's how innovation happens!!!!

The weight weenie in me wanted to go with the ITW g-hook since it is lighter, but your T-hook is too good to not use it. I will usually choose to shave weight over function, but not on that one.

Thanks for pointing out that it is not load bearing (nor the belt), they are only there to hold the saddle up folks. I forgot to state that, so the original post has been edited to reflect that.

Looks like a sitdrag without the canvas? I think @Peterk1234 made on exactly like this with the canvas?

I like it when can I expect shipping notice?
Am I going to have to start a thread where’s my Wraith?

Maybe you can test out my kevlar dental floss model at ground level for me with that bad shoulder!

very nice, you dont need anything more than that..... the straps carry the load. Of course this means you will be isolated and kicked out of the butt cupping anonymous support group.

I did a similar mod to my Sitka fleece saddle but I went with a "V" instead of your "H" between the weight bearing seatbelt webbing. (Think jockstrap)

Great job on the wraith!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back