• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

There is NO PERFECT PACK!

dpierce72

I'm coming to the conclusion (at least for me) there are no BEST packs to meet all different needs. Just when I think I find my system, something changes, I find something new, I change an approach... If a guy could design the perfect pack to meet all situations, he'd be a millionaire.

Some of the considerations for pack decisions depend on:
  • how do we climb (bolts, sticks, WES, SRT, spikes, other)
  • what do we stand on (platform, ROS, LWHC, DIY platform, other)
  • how much gear do we like to carry (rambo knife only ...or the kitchen sink)
  • how do we get our animal out (drag, float, cart/sled or quarter in the field & pack out)
  • Do we film (no, yes but tactacam/go pro only, yes and I'm I'm producing high end videos for YouTube)
  • Need for lots of cold weather gear ...or not so much
  • What is our loaded weight? <10lbs, 11-15lbs, 16-20, 20+
  • others
I know I'm rambling, but see this question so often (and have asked it myself) ...just not sure there is a perfect pack to be had the more research I do.

For me, it comes down to this
  • What is the lightest and most comfortable pack I can find that meets the demands above, whatever they may be. And I've found that I need to have a few different packs for the different scenarios above. I have a scouting pack, ground attack pack, and saddle/stand system for warm weather and cold weather.
For the record, I self film with a tactacam and go pro (so not a professional filmer) and prefer to utilize cargo pockets to carry as little as possible ...other than my system to hunt from (and cold weather/rain gear if conditions call for it).

One other lesson I've learned, is that if I have the space, I somehow end up filling it up ...which is NOT meeting my objective of going as light (yet efficient) as possible.

I wish I could afford multiple sets of everything, so I could have a grab and go pack for each style of hunt I do with everything needed inside. No more grabbing things out of one setup and hoping you don’t forget something. No more re-assembling, no fumbling trying to remember which pocket something ended up in...

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

I wish I could afford multiple sets of everything, so I could have a grab and go pack for each style of hunt I do with everything needed inside. No more grabbing things out of one setup and hoping you don’t forget something. No more re-assembling, no fumbling trying to remember which pocket something ended up in...

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx
Got this tip from @kyler1945. Get yourself a mesh dittybag for your essentials. Knife, licenses compass, bug spray, etc.

I shuffle that between my deer hunting bag, scouting bag, duck bag, and squirrel vest. Those always contain activity-specific gear like climbing stuff for saddle, calls for ducks, shotgun shells and calls for squirrels, etc.

Big quality of life improvement

Got this tip from @kyler1945. Get yourself a mesh dittybag for your essentials. Knife, licenses compass, bug spray, etc.

I shuffle that between my deer hunting bag, scouting bag, duck bag, and squirrel vest. Those always contain activity-specific gear like climbing stuff for saddle, calls for ducks, shotgun shells and calls for squirrels, etc.

Fully agree, I have been doing this for years with a waterproof pouch. As long as I have my pouch and weapon, I'm hunting.

The “essentials” pouch or baggie is very useful. It goes where I go, like said above.

I’ve gone through about 15 packs in the last 6 or 7 years. I’ve landed on 3(4 if you count the hybrid). I have a frame pack(MR pop up) for traveling, backpacking, and hunting with kestrel when i pack out deer. I have a fleece normal size backpack for hunts where I need a full size pack, but won’t be packing deer out. And I have an alps pathfinder fanny that I carry my photography equipment in, will use on occasion for a hunt, but use a lot for scouting.

9/10 hunts I’m in the hybrid or pop up/kestrel.

If you don’t pack 25-30+lbs of gear for distances of over 1/2-3/4 of a mile, you literally have hundreds of pack options.

If you pack 30+lbs and want to be comfortable, you have dozens.

If you’re going to pack meat out, you’re probably at a dozen or so options.

That’s a bunch of options. The best pack is the one that gets you to and from your tree without cussing it.

I have taken the same approach to packs.

I plan on using a small fanny pack that I can slide around to the front and access while walking in and out and will go on the tree once up. Want to use the fanny pack when using squirrel steps and in locations I can get buddies to help drag. Plan to use this pack the most by far.

Going to use my small pack on some locations I will be using my predator. Mostly on trees I don't plan on having to or can't walk around well. Also when I need to pack in extra cloths for weather.

Big pack for WIHA that I can't use bolts on or anytime I will need to quarter the deer in the field.

ca6ae634101620f7ae21ef3d37b964aa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Been doing this for the past 2 years and has worked out really well. Nothing more frustrating than getting to your hunting location and realizing you don’t have a vital piece of gear.

I have taken the same approach to packs.

I plan on using a small fanny pack that I can slide around to the front and access while walking in and out and will go on the tree once up. Want to use the fanny pack when using squirrel steps and in locations I can get buddies to help drag. Plan to use this pack the most by far.

Going to use my small pack on some locations I will be using my predator. Mostly on trees I don't plan on having to or can't walk around well. Also when I need to pack in extra cloths for weather.

Big pack for WIHA that I can't use bolts on or anytime I will need to quarter the deer in the field.

ca6ae634101620f7ae21ef3d37b964aa.jpg

what is that big bag with your sticks in it? i'm struggling to find a good bag that will carry my heliums and my podium comfortably and simply.

IMO the most ideal pack is modular. Given that most commercially available modular packs are ridiculously expensive, many gravitate towards simple. I know many guys don't really like to use military gear, but it's really hard to beat. Something like a small assault pack can be built into a legit load carrier. It extremely important when adding weight to a pack to have a hip belt to redistribute the weight away from you shoulders. I'm a minimalist to the extreme when it comes to my load out. I rarely even take my knife, when I take a deer, I'll take my setup out grab the cart, which has saddle bags that have everything I need to get the cleaned and out of the woods...

what is that big bag with your sticks in it? i'm struggling to find a good bag that will carry my heliums and my podium comfortably and simply.
Badlands Diablo Dos. Got it off of Camofire. I have seen it come up on there a bunch again lately. You could probably call them and get one yet.
a92089cc6650bb197571e8426ee0ddd9.jpg

oh, i have seen the diablo dos several times online, but never paid it much attention until just now when i saw your sticks on there! thanks for the heads up!

This is a great idea! So simple!
Thanks!

I always say me and packs is like a woman and pocketbooks! You can't have too many. I kinda have a pack for most of the stuff I do.

Back