• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thermacel storing?

Jeremy_D

I know I'm probably the last person on Earth to not use one but this will be my 1st year owning one. Can I put it inside my pack after I'm done at night? Should I store it like a zip lock bag? Do you have to worry about tipping them? I don't want to ruin my other gear.

Just turn it off before storing in your pack. The blue pads don’t store well once opened but other that that it’s pretty simple.

Just turn it off before storing in your pack. The blue pads don’t store well once opened but other that that it’s pretty simple.
Do they give off fumes or something that would make me want to wrap it up when string it in my bag with my other gear

The only fumes you will notice is when you leave it turned on and put it in your vehicle. Maybe don’t store butane in direct sunlight in hot vehicles. I’ve never taken any special precautions and never had any trouble.

Reactions: swd
I know it's almost as much as a new unit but the holder is worth the money.....I used for years without and was cussing myself after I bit the bullet and seen how useful and convenient

I know it's almost as much as a new unit but the holder is worth the money.....I used for years without and was cussing myself after I bit the bullet and seen how useful and convenient

The best place I have found to buy them is Tractor supply. The unit, pads, butane, holster =$19.99

See you in a tree, Ricky

I leave it attached tightly to the top/back of my turkey vest. I usually replace the pad and turn it on as soon as I take it out of the truck when I get to my parking spot in the morning. Turn it off when I start the walk back to the truck when the hunt is over. It is usually cooled off by then. I don't think about it again until the next hunt. The carrier is a must!!!! I keep an extra butane and 2-4 extra pads in the side pockets of the carrier.
The same procedure takes place during early season/urban archery deer hunting too. I have never noticed a deer busting me because of the smell.

Whenever they started discounting the brown earth scent ones I bought a bunch for 12 dollars ...unit,butane, pad combo. I refill the butane but haven't tried to rejuvenate the pads yet.

I always store it in a zip lock bag to preserve some of the remaining anti-mosquito juice.

For the price I just use a new pad each time. It works and you know as soon as the pad is used up, because then it doesn't work. I have used the same pad on back to back days. It usually works until about lunch the next day.

I never run mine non-stop. Turn it on for a while till they quit swarming around me then turn it off. Its usually takes a while for them to return. Also it will be warm/hot when you turn it off so take that into account when storing it. Mine is in a canvas case/cover and I just attach it to the outside of my pack.

I store mine in my pack until it gets cold enough to not need it anymore. No issues. It does have a scent to it but I've never had any sort of issues having it on while in the tree. I won't hunt early season without mine.

For the price I just use a new pad each time. It works and you know as soon as the pad is used up, because then it doesn't work. I have used the same pad on back to back days. It usually works until about lunch the next day.
Mine gets used year round....those things add up. Pads last 3 to 4 hrs

I wonder what the difference is with mine lasting 12+ hours and yours lasting for 4 hours. Maybe your bugs are just badder MFers than mine are. I am hunting in Danville, VA. Turn it on when I leave the truck. Turn it off on the way back in for the night. Then I don't start noticing the bugs until lunch time the next day if I am running low on pads I will run it for 2 days. I usually just throw a new pad in every morning and I am good all day. I don't turn it off, because the one time I turned it off until the bugs came back. After the 2nd bite I started messing with it, just in time to hear a couple clucks as the long beard flew off. He had snuck in behind me. Not saying I would have got him, but messing with a thermacell I should have just left on, definitely cost me that bird

U have the max or extreme life ones? The normal they claim 4 hrs. So 4+4+4=12 so they say12 on the box. The butane lasts longer than advertised but the pad far short sometimes. I've never tried the longer run time 1s.

No, I just run the normal ones. I let the bugs dictate when I change the pads. As a matter of fact I shot a deer at sunset last year. I was cleaning by the headlights of the truck and the skeeters started getting bad. I grabbed the pack out of the truck and fired it up. They were gone in 5 minutes. That pad had been run all day long. It was a warm November day.

U have the max or extreme life ones? The normal they claim 4 hrs. So 4+4+4=12 so they say12 on the box. The butane lasts longer than advertised but the pad far short sometimes. I've never tried the longer run time 1s.
that's me
3 pads = 12 hr
1 butane = 12 hrs
I run the pads until the bugs come back then I switch pads, I have suffered through an early season sit without one when my butane went out and I didn't want to make the click to restart it, that's when I realized there literally inst a deer in the woods that I would do that again for.

I think Premethrin helps with the flying bugs to, I noticed less misquotes since I started using it.

Back