• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thermacell and mosquitos lately

Jonathan Simmons

I have used thermacells for the last few years and don't bother to go hunting without one here in SC. Skeeters are crazy without one. The last few years they have worked great. This year, it seems that the skeeters don't care about the thermacell any longer. It may help a bit, but not like it use to. I have 4 different ones, tried different boxes of pads, and others that hunt with me have said the same thing. So do we just have a bad year for mosquitos or did thermacell change there pad juice this year and it ain't as good? Has anyone else noticed the same?

The last time I bought pads they were junk. Noticeably worse than what they used to be. A couple years ago I bought a back up Thermacell and it was garbage too. It would shut off after 20 min. Sent it back and it still had the same problem. Threw all the new stuff in the trash and went back to the old TC :D

Hate to hear the new stuff isnt working but happy I have 7-8 years worth of the older stuff stock piled.

It may have gotten better, I'm still burning on old stock for awhile too. To be fair I didn't explain myself very well. After thinking about it I didn't realize how long it had been. the "new thermacell" I got was 7 years ago now (had a round dial on the front instead of the left/right toggle like the old ones. The pads I got were in the new white packaging and it was "earth scent" maybe? I seem to remember it being marketed as a no scent option and that's why I picked it up over the original scent. That was roughly 4 yrs ago. Those pads worked better than nothing but mosquitoes were still buzzing me. That's when I get fed up and threw it all the new stuff away and went back to the old stuff

I'm in NC, I havent had a prob with mine, FYI there is a way to refill the butane cartridge if anyone is interested

Ihe had quite an issue down here, the mosquito guy quit spraying he just drives around with a tranquilizer gun and darts a couple and throws them in the back of the truck to take them back to the station and euthanize them. These skeeters down here can stand flat footed and hump a turkey.

I refill both the bottles AND the pads. Plenty of Youtube vids out there on the topic. Can get everything you need to retreat a lifetime supply of pads for < $10. You can even add blue food coloring if you want them colored again. Only downside is after about 3-4 "re-uses" the pads get a bit crispy / used up

I have multiple older units and 1 of the new designs. Imo the new design is superior. The flame viewing window is larger so much easier to tell if lit and it burns "hotter" making more smoke. Having a clip without having the holder is improvement but the older units holder is better because the clip swivels 360. Earth scent or original, they all work on our skeeters

Back