• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thermacell not as effective as once was

swampsnyper

Don't know if y'all are experiencing the same thing. It works nothing like it use to. Seems every year it is getting less effective. Don't know if they are getting immune to it or they are changing the formula. So I wrote them with my concern. Hope you can do the same if you noticed a change in its effectiveness.

customerservice@thermacell.net

I know it's not as bad in most places up north as it is down here on the gulf coast. Some of y'all may not even notice the difference. You get swarmed down here and it's nothing to swallow a few just trying to breath while walking around. They thick and the thermacell was a revolutionary when it 1st came out.

Ours are thick in May until the dragon flies come out. By August there's not much buzzing around other than bees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. I've been noticing the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just me or not. And their new design with the knob style on/off switch was worthless for me. Out of the box the thing would run 15 min and shut-off every time. Ruined a couple hunts till I figured out what was going on. Sent it back. When it was returned "fixed", ran for 10 min and shut off...into the trash it went :). Fortunately the old one with the slider switch still runs like a top.

As far as insects becoming immune, there's no possible chance there's enough selective pressure from treating a few cubic feet around a tree stand to build resistance in a natural population.

I dnt think mine ever worked. I am up a tree and the breeze blows the repellant away and i still got skeeters. I dont buy into it working in a tree. Kinda like i dnt buy into ozinics working in a tree with the slightest breeze.

brydan said:
I think you're right. I've been noticing the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just me or not. And their new design with the knob style on/off switch was worthless for me. Out of the box the thing would run 15 min and shut-off every time. Ruined a couple hunts till I figured out what was going on. Sent it back. When it was returned "fixed", ran for 10 min and shut off...into the trash it went :). Fortunately the old one with the slider switch still runs like a top.

As far as insects becoming immune, there's no possible chance there's enough selective pressure from treating a few cubic feet around a tree stand to build resistance in a natural population.
I agree with the immune deal. Just giving them the benefit of the doubt.
They promptly emailed me back and asked for the batch code on the pads. I sent them the last one I used, but told them it's not the batch, I've been experiencing a difference for a few years now. They never said anything about formula change. Just said they will ship me some pads from the new batch. I don't think that will solve the problem but at lease I'll be getting ate up with free pads. Lol I told them, I'll test them out and report back to them. I hope more people contact them with the problem so if there was a formula change they will do something about it. They may not test their products in the infestation I'm in at times. I just know there is a big difference in its performance 10 years ago and now. So please email them and spread the word to other sites and friends. We need to get them back on track!

rr79 said:
I dnt think mine ever worked. I am up a tree and the breeze blows the repellant away and i still got skeeters. I dont buy into it working in a tree. Kinda like i dnt buy into ozinics working in a tree with the slightest breeze.

I use to have it hanging on my bag to the side of me in the tree. No matter the wind direction it was potent enough to clear them out. Wouldn't even hear a buzz. The other day I put it in my lap with the smoke going in my face and they were still tearing me up on my back. Nothing like how it performed when they 1st came out. It was the best invention since slice bread for us gulf coast hunters.

Nope. Haven't noticed this at all. I was in NC up until about two years ago and I used my Thermacell every hunt of Turkey season and about half of deer season. Every time I sparked it up, within minutes I could see the skeeters making their way further away.

I swear by them even though in Ohio and PA I just need them for turkey season.

I and a few others have received emails from thermacell. They never answered the question about the formula being changed. They asked us all for the batch number. They told me they will send me a new batch of pads. Not sure about the others. One guy pushed and said they told him the chemicals haven't been changed but said nothing about a change in the formula or potency. Anyway, like most manufactures, they depend on customers experience to test their products nation or world wide. Its hard to test a product and cover all aspects, so its important as a consumer to give feedback. So if they send you free replacement pads, please let them know good or bad your results. Thats the only way we can get the best products available.

Back