• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about going ad free

denots

Most ad's on tapatalk are dating sites and things of the sort. Nothing that I notice to often, or would be willing to pay not to see. I think this one not only pushed me to the edge, but kicked me off the fricking cliff! I mean damn
bca78cb5ab945a64337e23307705cee1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A long time ago I paid for tapatalk pro (no ads), then an update was installed, and lo and behold, I had ads again, and would have to pay again to remove those ads.

Reference this thread for others who have had this happen.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tap...ave-to-pay-for-tapatalk-pro-again-t22881.html

So I get the freaking ads. I have no confidence that the 15.99 will be lifetime. Maybe the lifetime of version X of tapatalk, but versions become outdated and new one pop up.

And tapatalk allows it’s app to be rebranded as another app. I was using tapatalk for some forum for my dodge truck. All of a sudden it (forum) was not a available on tapatalk, but I could download and pay for another app to get to the same forum. That other app was tapatalk, with some different images customized for that Dodge forum.

I am a software engineer in the mobile app space (iOS and Android), and developers gotta eat. That said, tapatalk is duplicitous in its behavior.

I am a software engineer in the mobile app space (iOS and Android), and developers gotta eat. That said, tapatalk is duplicitous in its behavior.

I'm a developer in the enterprise software world. When I started 25 years ago, the "user" was revered like a customer in a brick & mortar business. Their data and privacy were considered sacred. Today it's mildly infuriating to see how users are exploited by the companies providing software they claim to be "free."

And that's why I do not use facebook.

I'm a developer in the enterprise software world. When I started 25 years ago, the "user" was revered like a customer in a brick & mortar business. Their data and privacy were considered sacred. Today it's mildly infuriating to see how users are exploited by the companies providing software they claim to be "free."

We are fooling ourselves if we think ANY of these computing machines (in a software/app sense) are doing things solely and exclusively for our ends and no other ends at all.

We are roughly same in 25 years in. I go back to working at AT&T during the latter part of Bell Labs days, UNIX, C, C++, to any language du jour (any one that pays the bills gets my attention). At a certain point, the basics do not change, it is just the window dressing that changes.

Regarding trust, anyone try running their own proxy server to track and display network traffic sent (e.g., Fiddler). Our heads would spin seeing all of the information being sent from our computing machines.

Computing machines are just a tool to leverage all of humanity, the good along with the bad. Greed and fear are greatly multiplied by computing machines and rapid communications.

Ya, I’m sure the OnX guys are combing through my waypoints to jump on my “stellar” performance this year... If only to figure out how you hunt as much as I have and still not get a deer on the ground.

I have been considering using a VPN to protect the majority of my data, they are just so dang expensive right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I might keep the ads just to get to see the newscaster on the left of this ad... for some reason a lot of my ads are well figured or scantily clad women.

Man you guys started talking a whole nother language all of a sudden. I wouldn't pay to not see ads because I don't trust that they wouldn't make me pay again. And I'll be the first to admit I'm not smart enough to figure out any of this crap. Half naked women and dating sites as one thing but an ad for brown, red, and whatever other color vaginal discharge just kind of creeped me out. If it gets too bad I'll just quit using the app. I definitely notice how any time I Google something from my phone all of a sudden the ads start popping up for that particular item. I don't know how the vaginal discharge ad found me. I do live in a house full of women.

Ya, I’m sure the OnX guys are combing through my waypoints to jump on my “stellar” performance this year... If only to figure out how you hunt as much as I have and still not get a deer on the ground.

I have been considering using a VPN to protect the majority of my data, they are just so dang expensive right now.

There's something missing in the software biz right now, it's basically a CODE OF CONDUCT. There should be a COC, recognized kind of like the various open source license agreements, that companies adhere to voluntarily as a selling point, that safeguards user data to a reasonable degree. It will probably come about as result of some kind of data privacy breach that's exposed through some terrible occurrence or court case. It won't happen voluntarily.

I use PIA VPN. Not too expensive if you sign up for a year or more. Works on multiple devices.

Man you guys started talking a whole nother language all of a sudden. I wouldn't pay to not see ads because I don't trust that they wouldn't make me pay again. And I'll be the first to admit I'm not smart enough to figure out any of this crap. Half naked women and dating sites as one thing but an ad for brown, red, and whatever other color vaginal discharge just kind of creeped me out. If it gets too bad I'll just quit using the app. I definitely notice how any time I Google something from my phone all of a sudden the ads start popping up for that particular item. I don't know how the vaginal discharge ad found me. I do live in a house full of women.

You can avoid ads easily with browser plugins like Adblock or UblockOrigin. If your browser doesn't support those, change to use one that does. If you want to go to the next level PiHole is the new hotness. Also learn how cookies work, and when to use private/incognito browser modes.

I see very few ads on the internet with Firefox, UblockOrigin, and Brave.

Back