• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Third Hand archery target outside....?

IkemanTX

I have been collecting old clothing to hopefully put into a 4'X4' Third Hand target sometime in the future. Has anyone put one of these together for outside use? Obviously I would want to keep the sun off of the skins, but I am wondering how it handles rain. I figure I need to put a small sloped roof above it at the very least, but it will be in the path of the sprinkler system. Do I also need to come up with some kind of cover for the face? The target would be backed up to the southwest corner of the fence, so will only have overhead, north, and west exposure.

Not sure if the one you have is the same but i have the ''rag bag'' filled with cling wrap and it just sits outside uncovered....it's 2 years old and is still in good condition

Not sure if the one you have is the same but i have the ''rag bag'' filled with cling wrap and it just sits outside uncovered....it's 2 years old and is still in good condition
I was looking at doing the 4 foot skins for the stand up DIY one, but that is promising. I think the rag bag is the same outer material as the skins.

Yes, if you can get used pallet wrap from a warehouse the stuff will last forever!!! I have a friend who did that and it has outlived several of my targets...

Yes, if you can get used pallet wrap from a warehouse the stuff will last forever!!! I have a friend who did that and it has outlived several of my targets...
My only problem with the pallet wrap is it constantly gets stuck on my inserts. Every target I have ever had with plastic fill has ended up with at least a couple insert/field tips stuck inside.

My only problem with the pallet wrap is it constantly gets stuck on my inserts. Every target I have ever had with plastic fill has ended up with at least a couple insert/field tips stuck inside.
Gotcha, that makes total sense, the stuff is rugged.

The third hand targets are nice but it left out side the clothes will get wet and start to mold. When wet and moldy the arrows are a B to pull out. You will want to figure out a way to enclose it.

Back