• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

This is a scope issue..

Oldnotdead

So I have a bizzare crazy problem witb gun scopes. I only have one scoped gun 243 . Bought brand new with a Nikon prohunter scope mounted on it at the shop. Ive tried shooting it off a rest and it's miserable to get a fullpicture. I have it sighted in . I shot a buck with it the first time out but I won't use it. Now all that back ground there is no scoped gun or brand scope i don't have a problem with. Now several.years ago I went into buy a 10.00 card reader and left with a Wickedridge crossbow, because I picked it up and it was a perfect sight picture. I can't get a bad picture on it. We have measured the stock. At most there is a 1/2 difference across all the guns we've tried. No one else holding the same weapons have this problem. We even had a coach come out and it just didn't help.
Have any of you heard of such an issue? It makes no sense to me.

The only time I have had issues not getting a full picture through the scope is if it is mounted to far away, or with elcheapo scopes that are small..

Even though the distance seems the same with your crossbow and rifle even the slightest bit can make a difference.. I would take the scope off and figure out where a comfortable repeatable head position is for you then adjust your scope until you can clearly see through it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The only time I have had issues not getting a full picture through the scope is if it is mounted to far away, or with elcheapo scopes that are small..

Even though the distance seems the same with your crossbow and rifle even the slightest bit can make a difference.. I would take the scope off and figure out where a comfortable repeatable head position is for you then adjust your scope until you can clearly see through it.

Forgot to mention, the reason you take your scope off is so you are not trying subconsciously moving your head trying to see through it.

Set your scope power to mid range power.
Adjust eye piece to mid range for fine tuning later.
Then Loosen scope mounts just enough to slide scope back and forth.
Find a comfortable and repeatable position on the stock.
Close your eyes for a few seconds and then reopen and try looking through the scope . If the picture is not clear do not move your head have someone push the scope forward or pull back to you what ever is needed to clear your picture up.
Once you feel your close tighten down the scope mounts.
Repeat the process of finding the comfortable and repeatable stock position.
At this point you should be very close or maybe a slight eye piece adjustment.
Remember depending on your scope the eye relief and field of view may really change through the power range.
Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a decent video. It’s for long range shooting but it’s the same setup regardless of distance you plan to shoot.

Thanks guys, I'm giving it another try and I'm calling another shop. Going to take both the rifle and crossbow in. We drove all the way to P.A. To even find this left handed remington its a shame I dont use it.. I can and have nailed crow and squirrel with my open sight 22 out to 90 yrds, dropping deer at 110 with my bead shot 20 ga shot gun is not a problem. My turkey gun is a bead sight. I use open sight blk powder dropping deer. Guys pick up my rifle and have zero issues.
That video you posted was great, we do need to get different mount because we can't bring the scope back any further in the rings. The stocks are the same lengths.. He even got me the coldwell field pod to help.

Lol.... too bad my crossbow isn't long range, it would be the only weapon I'd use. Dead on off hand every time. I shot a raccoon from a tree stand last year that was in a tree just above me 25 yrds away. Zipped through him so fast he just fell backwards along the tree limb crotch. His arms fell to the side and he never fell out of the tree. I never found that bolt but it was worth it.

I mostly hunt woods but love a scope for that first and last 15 minutes of legal light. Can you not inch forward on the stock and get a full sight picture? A lot of guys set them as far forward as they can. That works fine in the shop but when you go to the woods with a heavy coat on that puts the scope extra inch away from your eye.

take the scope off the rifle and look through it like binoculars, did you get a clear sight picture? ok do it again and measure the distance form the scope to your forehead. shoulder the rifle set the scope on it and move it to that distance. now shoulder the gun with your eye closed, when you open your eyes is the scope clear? hopefully it is, if not move it a little bit and repeat keep shouldering the gun with your eyes closed and open them until you get the clear field of vision your after. all scopes have a different relief measuring one scope and mounting the next scope the same wont get it done

Back