• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

This is why bears suck

Blinginpse

Kill every 1 of the
1326009fc7206a3bc364db12f7ea3cc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of bears destroying corn. Is this common? What state is this?

I’ve never heard of bears destroying corn. Is this common? What state is this?
In my experience a bear will just lay in a food source and eat until it's depleted or it is full. I see this all the time in black berries here in northern Michigan. Large holes in the patches just flattened as in @Blinginpse's pics of the corn fields.

In my experience a bear will just lay in a food source and eat until it's depleted or it is full. I see this all the time in black berries here in northern Michigan. Large holes in the patches just flattened as in @Blinginpse's pics of the corn fields.
Yep worthless things don't leave the.corn unless need water. The folks are going in that field with a dog and guns surrounding the field and the drone watching above to find it so when it and other flush can kill it.

They’ll tear the bottom out of a feeder and eat until they start throwing up. Then go back and keep eating until it’s gone.

Drones... now THAT'S a game changer.
Dang good way to flush them out of the field and kill em. They will run like hell through a corn field with a drone above em. If you got a good hand on a drone that can run 1 good you can flush the bear from the corn with it and kill it.

And this is why bears suck too!!!! These are 16 year old Sawtooth Oak trees we planted on this property. Just happened over the weekend, they climb up and break the branches and rake the ripe soft spiney acorns into their mouths. This is the second time this has happened in three years. We bought and planted these trees for their rapid growth and quick turnaround on mast crop production for game. We were hoping for more food for the deer and turkeys.... not the bears. I don't care that they eat them but dang, why do they wreck the tree!! Some of the branches are a good 3-4" in diameter and they just snapped them right off. I've seen this in wild Beech groves as well it looks like large nests in the beech trees.

Attachments

• Bear Damage1.jpg
    Bear Damage1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Bear Damage2.jpg
    Bear Damage2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Bear Damage3.jpg
    Bear Damage3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Bear Damage4.jpg
    Bear Damage4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Bear Damage5.jpg
    Bear Damage5.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 082320Bear.jpg
    082320Bear.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Bear Damage7.jpeg
    Bear Damage7.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 118
And this is why bears suck too!!!! These are 16 year old Sawtooth Oak trees we planted on this property. Just happened over the weekend, they climb up and break the branches and rake the ripe soft spiney acorns into their mouths. This is the second time this has happened in three years. We bought and planted these trees for their rapid growth and quick turnaround on mast crop production for game. We were hoping for more food for the deer and turkeys.... not the bears. I don't care that they eat them but dang, why do they wreck the tree!! Some of the branches are a good 3-4" in diameter and they just snapped them right off. I've seen this in wild Beech groves as well it looks like large nests in the beech trees.
They will do it to cherry trees.too. I feel sorry for ya. Hooe you can kill em. Plant about 5 acres of corn that will put you on the map if isn't any around you

Dang! That sucks! Got a few trees tall enough to overlook that field w/ a rifle? Sounds like you need to setup a SH meetup ;)
Bears are here for sure. If i can help get @Bigterp on 1 when he's here in the area ima do my best. Ill be keeping a ear open for locals that may be having troubles and will stuff him in a spot. Issue is most corn probably be chopped by time hes here and bears be shifted to mast in the mountains

Back