• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts after my first saddle hunt

Cnilles

Went out for my first saddle hunt (H2). Some thoughts:
- I’m hooked! This setup is 20lb lighter than my climber setup.
- I can see how getting the EXACT tether height can fix most hip pinch issues.
- I spent way more time tinkering with my climbing methods than the saddle and prusik/tender. I did sort of the modified Cain method before. I just made myself a knaider and will use that next.
-One down side of saddle hunting is that pocket access is more difficult. The top 2 pants pockets are pretty much gone and the two jacket pockets for hands are a bit blocked off. I don’t like wearing gloves and the fuzzy pockets in my Pyre set are very toasty.
- I quickly realized that I need a back band of sorts. I just rigged up one with an old Fended guitar strap, some D rings and cord. Super comfy! I’ll try to get some pics up.

That’s all for now. Thanks for everyone’s amazing info. I’ve been stalking these forums for some time and have learned so much from you all.

CN

Went out for my first saddle hunt (H2). Some thoughts:
- I’m hooked! This setup is 20lb lighter than my climber setup.
- I can see how getting the EXACT tether height can fix most hip pinch issues.
- I spent way more time tinkering with my climbing methods than the saddle and prusik/tender. I did sort of the modified Cain method before. I just made myself a knaider and will use that next.
-One down side of saddle hunting is that pocket access is more difficult. The top 2 pants pockets are pretty much gone and the two jacket pockets for hands are a bit blocked off. I don’t like wearing gloves and the fuzzy pockets in my Pyre set are very toasty.
- I quickly realized that I need a back band of sorts. I just rigged up one with an old Fended guitar strap, some D rings and cord. Super comfy! I’ll try to get some pics up.

That’s all for now. Thanks for everyone’s amazing info. I’ve been stalking these forums for some time and have learned so much from you all.

CN
For your hands, me personally, been using a hand muff for years. Doubles as storage as well.

It certainly is a learning curve. Keep tinkering and you’ll find that magic setup that works for you.

Definitely get a muff for your hands. It will hang nicely under your bridge. Just got one this year and love it.

Sounds good. I have only used mine in the backyard and that was my plan to get it after season and practice til next year but I think I am gonna go out a hunt with it. We still have til Jan 5 but the woods are super open.

The learning curve is fun. If you power through the nuances, you’ll never go back to a deer stand. I think you’ll find that when you’re in saddle shape, you’ll depend on the back strap less. I’ve found myself in the off season going to the gym and dropping pounds just for hunting season-specifically saddle hunting. It’s a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back