• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts and Learnings from my 1st saddle season

tider

Lessons learned from my first full season hunting solely from a saddle. Level beginner.

1. If you forget your bow Hanger , your carabiner from your lineman’s belt will work in a pinch . Just clip it onto your tether. Screw the twist lock all the way down to make sure it doesn’t accidentally lock.
50d9878838f3d1813ac370641b66a973.jpg

2. On very small diameter trees , the backband will help keep you upright and helps you and the tree stay still longer.

3. Alternating 1 knee at a time on the trunk of a small tree helps tree and you stay still .

4. You can attach one of your dump pouches to your homemade gear holder ( Assuming you didn’t do #1) to hold cell phones, etc.. to keep at quick access. Thanks to @g2outdoors. That way when a deer is coming, instead of trying to find a pocket you can just “dump” it in there.
6aa5df38a0316bee3fe514d5aa2749ec.jpg

5. The Hip Pinch thing. I only get hip pinch when I slide the saddle underneath my butt. To alleviate this , if you haven’t already , loosen the leg straps and slide the bottom portion of the saddle up my legs an inch or so and it goes away.

6. For more comfort , loosen the waist belt and slide the saddle under your butt.

7. Your Hand Muff doubles as a good pillow. Hang it from your gear hanger so it rest on your caribeaner. Slide it behind when you’re not using it.
2e360b0e6e0dc8b5ba3a92284cf58372.jpg

8. Always tie a stopper knot at the bottom of your tether. Better yet if you have enough rope , tie a figure 8 and attach it back to your caribeaner.

9. Never have weight on your tether as you let out rope through your ropeman 1, especially if you have a weak heart , and keep an extra pair of underwear in your backpack. Don’t ask. Suffice to say, I was lucky enough to turn loose about a foot before I ran out of rope. ...and I hadn’t applied rule #8

10. Thick cold weather clothes totally changes your climbing method. Pick something simple that works either way.

11. This one involves trusting your gear 100%. You can loosen your tether, (see #8 and #9) and extend yourself to almost perpendicular to the tree and pull in and cut or tie back limbs that are in your way.

12. Tie a simple figure 8 in your tether running end of your rope and attach to your caribeaner. During a slow period of the day you can do some stretching. You can really extend a stretch since you don’t have to worry about losing your balance. Use the loop as a handle to push and pull on as you stretch out. It will help you stay loose for the rest of your sit.

13. I don’t recommend this , but the Sys ES pouch works great for a cell phone holder if there’s a game on that you don’t want to miss. Get the Watch ESPN app and some wireless Bluetooth earbuds and you’re set.
5c7b0aab7efd1bce7e2a4ff7969f6c84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lessons learned from my first full season hunting solely from a saddle. Level beginner.

1. If you forget your bow Hanger , your carabiner from your lineman’s belt will work in a pinch . Just clip it onto your tether. Screw the twist lock all the way down to make sure it doesn’t accidentally lock.
50d9878838f3d1813ac370641b66a973.jpg

2. On very small diameter trees , the backband will help keep you upright and helps you and the tree stay still longer.

3. Alternating 1 knee at a time on the trunk of a small tree helps tree and you stay still .

4. You can attach one of your dump pouches to your homemade gear holder ( Assuming you didn’t do #1) to hold cell phones, etc.. to keep at quick access. Thanks to @g2outdoors. That way when a deer is coming, instead of trying to find a pocket you can just “dump” it in there.
6aa5df38a0316bee3fe514d5aa2749ec.jpg

5. The Hip Pinch thing. I only get hip pinch when I slide the saddle underneath my butt. To alleviate this , if you haven’t already , loosen the leg straps and slide the bottom portion of the saddle up my legs an inch or so and it goes away.

6. For more comfort , loosen the waist belt and slide the saddle under your butt.

7. Your Hand Muff doubles as a good pillow. Hang it from your gear hanger so it rest on your caribeaner. Slide it behind when you’re not using it.
2e360b0e6e0dc8b5ba3a92284cf58372.jpg

8. Always tie a stopper knot at the bottom of your tether. Better yet if you have enough rope , tie a figure 8 and attach it back to your caribeaner.

9. Never have weight on your tether as you let out rope through your ropeman 1, especially if you have a weak heart , and keep an extra pair of underwear in your backpack. Don’t ask. Suffice to say, I was lucky enough to turn loose about a foot before I ran out of rope. ...and I hadn’t applied rule #8

10. Thick cold weather clothes totally changes your climbing method. Pick something simple that works either way.

11. This one involves trusting your gear 100%. You can loosen your tether, (see #8 and #9) and extend yourself to almost perpendicular to the tree and pull in and cut or tie back limbs that are in your way.

12. Tie a simple figure 8 in your tether running end of your rope and attach to your caribeaner. During a slow period of the day you can do some stretching. You can really extend a stretch since you don’t have to worry about losing your balance. Use the loop as a handle to push and pull on as you stretch out. It will help you stay loose for the rest of your sit.

13. I don’t recommend this , but the Sys ES pouch works great for a cell phone holder if there’s a game on that you don’t want to miss. Get the Watch ESPN app and some wireless Bluetooth earbuds and you’re set.
5c7b0aab7efd1bce7e2a4ff7969f6c84.jpg

Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I learned a Doyle's gear hoist works great for pulling up your bow.....if you remember to actually hook it to your bow. Yup, climbed up 30 feet on my spurs and looked down at my bow and realized I never hooked it up. After calling myself a dumb mf'er several times I remembered I had thrown a gadget in my pack for just this occasion. Grabbed my Silent Retriever mini grapple hook and lowered it down and snagged my bow and saved myself an aggravating climb down & back up. Works great and takes up no room!
https://www.thesilentretriever.com/product-page/single-retriever

9. Never have weight on your tether as you let out rope through your ropeman 1, especially if you have a weak heart , and keep an extra pair of underwear in your backpack. Don’t ask. Suffice to say, I was lucky enough to turn loose about a foot before I ran out of rope. ..

That’s a lotta poop.

Thanks guys. The biggest take away for me this season was repetition. Just like anything in life I guess, the more we do it the better we’ll get. I’m looking forward to many more seasons of the saddle.

Now ....need to get my spurs modded and get practiced up for next year. Always something to work on. Ha Ha.

Thanks guys. The biggest take away for me this season was repetition. Just like anything in life I guess, the more we do it the better we’ll get. I’m looking forward to many more seasons of the saddle.

Now ....need to get my spurs modded and get practiced up for next year. Always something to work on. Ha Ha.

Great advice thanks

Back