• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on Hawk Ranger Traction.

Very new to saddle hunting, and see everyone on the hawk helium band wagon, but what is everyones thoughts on the Ranger traction?
I’m not a huge fan of the Hawk standoffs. I’m pretty much stuck on Lone Wolf sticks after having Rangers and Muddys and XOP (my second favorite) and those AmeriStep ladder sticks. Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, but the Hawk sticks are kinda “busy” for my taste overall, but I don’t like the way the Hawk sticks bite in as much as LW, to answer your question more directly.

I’m not a huge fan of the Hawk standoffs. I’m pretty much stuck on Lone Wolf sticks after having Rangers and Muddys and XOP (my second favorite) and those AmeriStep ladder sticks. Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, but the Hawk sticks are kinda “busy” for my taste overall, but I don’t like the way the Hawk sticks bite in as much as LW, to answer your question more directly.
Thank you for the input. It just seems like they don't have the teeth that the heliums or other brands do. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost when just dropping 500 on a saddle!

Thank you for the input. It just seems like they don't have the teeth that the heliums or other brands do. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost when just dropping 500 on a saddle!
That’s fair. Actually I find that the bold design of the LW (and similarly XOP) bites WAY better due to its simple stagger and outright sharpness. The price is right between Ranger and Helium, and XOP is comparable as well. Doing homework is in your interest. Go to Cabela’s and look at them on the post. Lots of ppl love the Hawks anyway, you can’t go wrong with other input on this thread. Good luck!

This is my first year run-n-gun hunting so as you could imagine completely changing my style got real expensive real fast. I bought the heliums because they were inexpensive and I liked the double foot rests. I've used them a couple times now and I can tell you that I've found them to be rock solid once you set them in (gotta pull down and get good tension on the strap). I'm not exactly a small guy at 6' 220. But like everything, it's what makes you comfortable, the less you're worrying and thinking about the more you'll be able to concentrate on the task at hand

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is my first year run-n-gun hunting so as you could imagine completely changing my style got real expensive real fast. I bought the heliums because they were inexpensive and I liked the double foot rests. I've used them a couple times now and I can tell you that I've found them to be rock solid once you set them in (gotta pull down and get good tension on the strap). I'm not exactly a small guy at 6' 220. But like everything, it's what makes you comfortable, the less you're worrying and thinking about the more you'll be able to concentrate on the task at hand

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Solid input, even though I don’t like the same gear lol. Comfort/confidence is so personal!

Back