• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on my setup

T-BONE

Due to the safeguards being out of stock EVERYWHERE, this is my setup I am using now. Along with a separate lineman rope paired with a rope man.
what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance of your input.
7949192B-BF3E-4FBB-9D99-1F13C6923348.jpeg

You rappelling or hunting this way? If you rotate your hips left & that biner pushes against that hitch how does it act?

Due to the safeguards being out of stock EVERYWHERE, this is my setup I am using now. Along with a separate lineman rope paired with a rope man.
what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance of your input.
View attachment 59344

You took a picture with something other than crocs on your feet. I don’t believe that is acceptable. :)

What's the name of that device

Mammut Smart 2.0

Hunting and rappelling. I have adjusted length of the prusik and can rotate as far as I need to now without interference.
Ok that solves the bridge problem , why not hang from a prussic above the smart 2.0 while hunting? If you add any slack to the main rappel line by rotation couldn’t you lower yourself & possibly get that prussic fed into it

I haven’t used the Smart 2.0, but I know with other rap devices you gotta make sure your autoblock does not get sucked into it or else you’ll have problems like binding or even unexpected release. I, personally, would shorten that autoblock to get more space between it and your Smart 2.0.

I know my brother likes his Smart 2.0 device very much. Seems a good alternative to a safeguard.

Other than the comments about letting your bridge out everything looks good IMO.

I’m intrigued by the Mammut though. I looked into them before and considered making a switch to one. Have you tried climbing with one and when you unload it does rope automatically slide through and not catch quickly. I use a GriGri when rappelling but a Ropeman when climbing. I’m still looking for a device to use for both. In my mind I picture worst case scenario and dropping my stick while hanging with my Ropeman and struggling to get it to release to switch over to a GriGri.

Ok that solves the bridge problem , why not hang from a prussic above the smart 2.0 while hunting? If you add any slack to the main rappel line by rotation couldn’t you lower yourself & possibly get that prussic fed into it....
Because during the rapelling if the auto lock is above the belay device is is very hard to move on e it has been loaded, but if the auto block is below the rapelling device the device will have some of the tension load on it as well making the auto block easier to move once loaded.

Sorry...I was trying to quote this from above...
Ok that solves the bridge problem , why not hang from a prussic above the smart 2.0 while hunting? If you add any slack to the main rappel line by rotation couldn’t you lower yourself & possibly get that prussic fed into it.

What I’m getting at is what’s the benefit of hanging from the 2.0 ? Why not hang from a prussic & then setup to descend when ready?

Other than the comments about letting your bridge out everything looks good IMO.

I’m intrigued by the Mammut though. I looked into them before and considered making a switch to one. Have you tried climbing with one and when you unload it does rope automatically slide through and not catch quickly. I use a GriGri when rappelling but a Ropeman when climbing. I’m still looking for a device to use for both. In my mind I picture worst case scenario and dropping my stick while hanging with my Ropeman and struggling to get it to release to switch over to a GriGri.

My brother 1-stick climbs, hunts and raps with his Mammut. He had to try a few different ropes to find one that held consistently. Not endorsing this because only you can decide if it’s safe enough for you. But it is possible.

What I’m getting at is what’s the benefit of hanging from the 2.0 ? Why not hang from a prussic & then setup to descend when ready?

I climb, hunt and rap from my safeguard instead of switching over from a prussik for a couple of reasons:
1. Speed and convenience of not having to switch over. When It’s dark and I’m ready to leave, I don’t want to fiddle with stuff (especially stuff that’s gonna keep me from hitting the ground) - I just want to rap down and leave.
2. If at any time during my climb or hunt I have a problem with my 1-stick, ROS or platform, I can simply pull the handle and rap to safety.

That's a black diamond atc pilot I believe not the 2.0 . They are very similar and I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with both? Which is better? Using a 9mm rope and was going to try them out.

I climb, hunt and rap from my safeguard instead of switching over from a prussik for a couple of reasons:
1. Speed and convenience of not having to switch over. When It’s dark and I’m ready to leave, I don’t want to fiddle with stuff (especially stuff that’s gonna keep me from hitting the ground) - I just want to rap down and leave.
2. If at any time during my climb or hunt I have a problem with my 1-stick, ROS or platform, I can simply pull the handle and rap to safety.
Would you agree that the safeguard is a better known commodity for the application? Not better just more users here & more feedback /best practices. Only pointing out what is the gain & making sure folks are thinking through their system…….

I like the 2.0 but don’t go smaller than 9mm rope even though it’s rated for 8.7 I couldn’t get it to lock. You might have to try a few different carabiners depending on what rope you use. If you do buy one I would suggest getting it with the smarter clip. It helps hold the rope in place if you lift your break hand to high when repelling. Anyone with a leoadventures membership gets 40% off through Mammut. $35 new and in stock is hard to beat
6d0ada9b77f0abbcde1d473e20a2de52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back