• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on podcasts, youtube, etc. and funding

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I've had a real blast doing my youtube channel. It's allowed me to meet some really incredible people, help folks out, and it just gives me a chance to "jibber jabber" about stuff I love. I've been slacking in a major way this summer what with personal responsibilities and increased work load, but the bug is in me to get back in it after having some good talks with folks about hunting. Fall is coming!

I also enjoy writing, and have been blessed with the opportunity to get my name in a few publications. And people have asked me and I've tossed around and asked you guys about thoughts on a podcast. It's all a lot of fun and very humbling. Usually, the people I interact with on a daily basis would love for me to SHUT UP ALREADY about hunting. My boss would probably pay to have that nugget of my brain removed, lol. It's great to be able to interact with like-minded weirdos. I've met wonderful, smart, talented people who have made my life mo'better, and not just with regards to deer hunting.

But, real talk. Video equipment isn't free. Gear to play with isn't free (Usually. A huge thank you to everybody who has allowed me to opportunity to get hands on awesome gear without having to steal my wife's credit card or sell my soul. ;) ) Software isn't free. And recent events have made me realize my time isn't free to do what I want all the time.

Most entertainment content is paid for, ultimately, by people who buy gear (you and me). Usually, a corporation sponsors a content creator, who in turn puts the corporations products in their material in order to get it in front of a group of people the corporation views as a target market. Money in exchange for advertising, basically. I have looked into this option in order to get the money necessary to make more content. I have a few qualms about it. With regards to gear reviews, are you really an impartial reviewer if you were given the product or financially reimbursed? I know that I personally take anything written by somebody who didn't pay for the product with a grain of salt, even though i know and love a lot of guys with that "vendor" or "prostaff" icon in their profile on here. In a way, it turns the content consumers into a product. Google and youtube is a PRIME example of this. I signed up for monetization once I got big enough, and I still feel weird about it. Youtube and Google use the information they glean from my viewers to grow their analytics business, and they get funding from companies who buy the advertisements that show up on my videos. I get a cut for "feeding the beast."

Please note that I don't necessarily condone the way this system works. I know a lot of awesome folks at all levels of it, and I think it can be a good thing. I don't fault folks trying to go about it that way. I just don't know that I love it. It introduces a little grain of grit into an otherwise very enjoyable activity for me, and I'm not alone in that I think. There seems to be a trend of a lot of larger youtubers and other content creators trying to cut out the advertising aspect and just have people pay the monkey for his dancing. Seems more direct in my mind and similar to how the rest of the market usually operates. Especially regarding gear reviews, it solves the bias issue because the people who want to see the product reviewed are paying for the product and the guy who does the reviewing. The creator isn't creating for the product manufacturer anymore, but for the end-user. I like that.

So with all that said, I'm interested to hear how folks feel about something like Patreon or some other way of donating. I'd love to be able to review every new thing that came out in the industry, and be honest if I thought it sucked and you'd be crazy to buy it. I'd love to be able to buy a 4k camera, and take an unpaid day off my 9-5 in order to learn how to use an editing software to make a better video. I'd love to buy a microphone so people could stop commenting to "speak up." I'd love to be able to send a fruit basket to John Eberhart to thank him for being on a video/podcast. I'd love to host a get-together or 2. I'd like to sell out to maybe go from losing money on this little hobby to breaking even or maybe being able to tell my wife, "Do you mind, I'm working here?" when she complains about me filming a video in a yard that hasn't seen a mower in two weeks.

I'd basically rather "sell-out" to the community I love instead of whichever company will give me a dollar in exchange for pushing their stuff. I'm open to any thoughts as to how to how to make that attractive to the folks who have supported my jibber-jabbering. Maybe doing give-aways of gear once it's been tested? Some way to make it easier for folks to request topics they are interested in?

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, folks with experience at it, or people who think I'm being silly and should just be quiet already. :)

TLDR; who will pay cash money to watch NutterBuster swing from a pole for them?

Seems like this is the only way to do it these days to be 100% honest and unbiased on reviews or info. Some of the online personalities I listen to and view the most while valuing their input handle their funding this way. It seems like most (but not all) offer some sort of goods or services in return for funding. They may just offer a more premium review or tutorial for paying customers and some build custom bows, arrows, etc.

Seems like this is the only way to do it these days to be 100% honest and unbiased on reviews or info. Some of the online personalities I listen to and view the most while valuing their input handle their funding this way. It seems like most (but not all) offer some sort of goods or services in return for funding. They may just offer a more premium review or tutorial for paying customers.
Do you have any examples? I'd love to see how folks are doing that.

My current vision is accepting donations or having a reasonable subscription in exchange for being able to provide honest, unbiased, high-quality reviews for all the cool hunting gadgets we want. This year we have had new saddles from probably a dozen companies big and small. Finding info on them has you relying on material put together by the companies or prostaff, or end users. For me, neither is ideal. Way too much bias from both groups, actually. Sometimes the only people more biased than the producer of the gear are the people who just spent too much money on it and are trying to convince themselves they made the right call. I speak from personal experience there. How many people have the experience to not be impressed just because it's new and shiny and the time and inclination to put together a detailed video review?

There's basically three models to funding shows. Subscriptions, sponsors, or sell stuff or a combination thereof. Giveaways are nice and all but ultimately it's the content and the social capital that keep people watching and opening wallets.

Do you have any examples? I'd love to see how folks are doing that.

My current vision is accepting donations or having a reasonable subscription in exchange for being able to provide honest, unbiased, high-quality reviews for all the cool hunting gadgets we want. This year we have had new saddles from probably a dozen companies big and small. Finding info on them has you relying on material put together by the companies or prostaff, or end users. For me, neither is ideal. Way too much bias from both groups, actually. Sometimes the only people more biased than the producer of the gear are the people who just spent too much money on it and are trying to convince themselves they made the right call. I speak from personal experience there. How many people have the experience to not be impressed just because it's new and shiny and the time and inclination to put together a detailed video review?
Clay Hayes is a decent example I'd say. He has a website, does YouTube videos and offers bows and premium tutorials along with workshops. I'd assume he has paying sponsors too but it seems like they're basically the go to for trad. archery gear.

There's basically three models to funding shows. Subscriptions, sponsors, or sell stuff or a combination thereof. Giveaways are nice and all but ultimately it's the content and the social capital that keep people watching and opening wallets.
Wonderful summary. Sponsorship invites bias andI don't think anybody wants NutterBuster hats and shirts, so a subscription sounds like the best way to squirt some juice into this thing.

My goals are actually kinda similar to red squirrels earlier this year. I paid the membership without a second thought. I'd rather give him and the site money directly as opposed to having a Tethrd or Aerohunter banner on the front page.

Depends on what you're sponsors are. If you're reviewing equipment, you can be perfectly honest if you have multiple supply businesses as your sponsors, or apparel sponsors but you do implement reviews. Direct sponsors are obviously bad if you're trying to avoid the appearance of bias

Don't get too slick with the editing. As soon as the techno starts I'm out. Idk why every youtube hunter wants their background music to sound like an EDM club in Prague these days.
I agree. I'm not putting 2 minutes of any type music in my video. This isn't high school, and I don't wanna hear your mixtapes. Lol. I have thought about sitting down and recording a simple little 15 second riff on my martin though. Maybe a blues turnaround ending in the "pfft" of a beer bottle opening? ;)

I think a lot of the music played on youtube videos you hear us because the selection of music available without getting copyright strikes is slim...

I think a lot of the music played on youtube videos you hear us because the selection of music available without getting copyright strikes is slim...
It's actually far from slim. It's just YouTube's main audience isn't our type folks, sonthey don't cater the selection they procure and provide copyright-free to us.

I would pay to hear your podcasts and other content, I found your podcast you have on your YouTube channel to be very good and I wanted to hear more. I feel like your a saddle hunting legend already. With more content and maybe better video quality it will take you to that next level and you could be a superstar. :D

Just kicking ideas around, how about starting your own business "Nutterbuster's product review" since you are already on youtube and well known here you could approach companies about sending you their product for you to test and then you would give it away to someone that likes the video. Charge them a small fee that makes you a little $ to upgrade your equipment?

Back