• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts on this video

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
id like to get some input from others on their opinions on what happens in this video.

I watched it earlier today, looked to me like they are right on the property line from the angles they showed. I’d be surprised if they filed charges either way on it, the only way I could see it happening is if there is some definitive proof that they were or weren’t on his land, it doesn’t seem they were intentionally on it if they were but corn guy lives there and they are out of towners, unless he’s done it before or they feel public pressure what are the odds they give him a Hunter harassment charge? Low in my estimation.
Overall my opinion is it’s an awful look for all involved and the hunting community. Landowner of the corn field seemed mad they were going to potentially get birds he wanted to have land in his area so he flipped out like my 3 year old when snack time is 7 minutes late. Other hand it’s not likely they dug a pit in the field, probably just a blind, move it 6 inches and say sorry if you felt we were touching your corn.

I could see a harassment charge simply because the landowner tried to extort money from them, and was acting so childish constantly honking his horn, shouting and driving back and forth with a clear intent of ruining the hunt.

I don't know why they didn't just move the blind either, seems like a pretty simple solution.
I do applaud the hunters on keeping their calm, while being screamed at

Ag
I could see a harassment charge simply because the landowner tried to extort money from them, and was acting so childish constantly honking his horn, shouting and driving back and forth with a clear intent of ruining the hunt.

I don't know why they didn't just move the blind either, seems like a pretty simple solution
Agree with everything you’re saying, my only thought there was he was taking pictures down the line at one point so he seemed to think they were on the wrong side of it. If they were then maybe they are trespassing instead.
It’s just so silly. If it’s my land I drive up and ask them to move off the line if it’s that critical, if they don’t want to head out and call the warden.
If I’m them I move 6 inches.
Sometimes I think people see that these “Karen” videos get traction so they make sure to get them out there with attention grabbing headlines not considering the overall bad look for all involved. For everyone who thinks they got harassed there is someone who thinks they trespassed. Not much good comes from social media imo.

Seems like morons on both sides. They were hunting directly on the property line. What if birds you are shooting at are on the line or over the line, whos to say the hunters are ethical and only shooting birds on their property? What if a bird you shoot falls on to the private ? are you going to trespass to retrieve it? I'm not saying the farmer was in the right, he's obviously got a screw loose but common sense says not to put yourself in those situations.

Seems like morons on both sides. They were hunting directly on the property line. What if birds you are shooting at are on the line or over the line, whos to say the hunters are ethical and only shooting birds on their property? What if a bird you shoot falls on to the private ? are you going to trespass to retrieve it? I'm not saying the farmer was in the right, he's obviously got a screw loose but common sense says not to put yourself in those situations.
I'd agree both parties handled the situation terribly.
I hunt property lines a lot because sometimes that's the only cover on the ag I hunt. Once the crops come out, you're like a sitting duck (pun intended).
Most logical people and property owners understand that situation around here and have no problems but sometimes you do run into landowners who think what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs too.
If you shoot something and it runs or flies onto adjacent property, you call the landowner and if he says no call the conservation officer and go from there.

I'd agree both parties handled the situation terribly.
I hunt property lines a lot because sometimes that's the only cover on the ag I hunt. Once the crops come out, you're like a sitting duck (pun intended).
Most logical people and property owners understand that situation around here and have no problems but sometimes you do run into landowners who think what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs too.
If you shoot something and it runs or flies onto adjacent property, you call the landowner and if he says no call the conservation officer and go from there.
Lately it seems like logic has gone out the window along with ethics and respect. The hunting community is constantly turning on each other and posting these videos makes us all look bad.

You can retrieve it in Iowa, just can’t take your weapon onto the property. I shouldn’t even say can actually, it’s considered an obligation to retrieve downed game. Something like a deer I’d probably still talk to the landowner first, off chance they protest then call the warden. Birds I just follow the law and go pick ‘em up.

Exactly!!!

Back