• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thread for sewing webbing

Gobblergetter23

For those of you that have made modifications to your saddles what type of thread are you using specifically when you are making mods to webbing that is weight bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nylon or 20lb fishing braid. It really has more to do with how close the stich is and how many. Criss cross through the area that you are stitching. If you are truly doing a weight bearing stitch, then take it to an upholstery shop that has an industrial sewing machine. It can handle the thicker fabric and put a lot of stitches where you need them. I wouldn't hand sew a true weight bearing stitch.

My father in law has a one horse sewing machine used for building classic car door panels I've looked into the type of stitches needed just didn't know what kind of thread.

Well Kevlar thread is the strongest, but I think a lot of harnesses are done with a 138 or higher polyester. If your machine can handle it, go big.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm no seamstress, and my stitches would barely pass Sewing 101, but all my research told me to use polyester thread for outdoor projects.

Coats extra strong is readily available and size #69. For anything bigger, I go to the thread exchange.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My father in law has a one horse sewing machine used for building classic car door panels I've looked into the type of stitches needed just didn't know what kind of thread.

I'm jealous of your access. Coats Outdoor or Upholstery thread. For most of what I do it isn't weight bearing so I find the regular stuff marked "coats outdoor" runs very easily. the Upholstery thread and #69 can be funny to work with and aren't needed if you are simply sewing a belt in a Sit Drag or adding some webbing loops to a saddle.

I have an idea for building my own tree saddle.... very new to this whole thing though and want to be safe

Back