• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thread injecting polyester, nylon and Kevlar questions

sojourner

SH Member
I am reading about how polyester is better resisting UV and water and used for outside applications. But I see nylon in tubular webbing and polyester in seat belt material.

I also see polyester thread, e.g., gutermann tera 40, and nylon and Kevlar thread on sgtknots.com.

I am looking to understand the implications for the combinations of the below when fabricating life support gear, e.g., saddles and aiders, and also other outside gear, e.g., packs.

Material Thread
———- ———
Nylon Nylon
Polyester Polyester
Nylon Polyester
Polyester Nylon

I really have not found out information on using nylon thread with polyester material (seat belt material) or all the other combinations above.

Can anyone point me to how these things interact? Right now I only have a singer 4452 and max out at needle size 110/18. If all goes well, I will be looking for an industrial machine for future projects. I want to understand any and all ramifications of using the different materials together. Especially safety related ones.

Thx!

Haven’t heard much about Kevlar thread, but see it is offered. Any info on if Kevlar is a good thread to use?

I don't have any info to offer but I went with 2'' polyester webbing when I made my climbing gear mainly because of the UV resistance and not absorbing water. All my stitching was with wax thread with speedy stitch.

I would use any of the three as long as I calculated the strength of each of my connections based on breaking strength per stitch. I posted a lot of information about Kevlar and polyester in the sewing thread. I think I calculated Kevlar was 6X the price per foot and 2X the strength for an equivalent Tex size. Kevlar is sticky, kind of like rubber so it does not flow through a sewing machine as easy as polyester. Polyester is slick. A size 18 needle works well with Gutterman's upholstery thread sold at Joann's fabric stores. It is Tex 70 or V-69 size and is equivalent to Tera 40 as was stated by a rep from Gutterman in a sewing thread. I had to go to a size 20 needle to sew with a V-92 thread.

I have sgtknots.com milspec bonded nylon thread in #69. I have been thinking about getting the gutermann tera 40 polyester too. Both for max size 18 needle (which is max for the singer 4452). And I am still waiting for the size 18 needles to use.

I have seen the page or two from on knots book (posted online). I have an idea about tensile strength, threads per inch and weight rating.

I am just not sure if I should be mix and matching the thread type and material type.

I guess I can always sell thread if I don’t like it.

I don't have any info to offer but I went with 2'' polyester webbing when I made my climbing gear mainly because of the UV resistance and not absorbing water. All my stitching was with wax thread with speedy stitch.

Thx! I am going to bypass the speedy stitcher if I can.

I would use any of the three as long as I calculated the strength of each of my connections based on breaking strength per stitch. I posted a lot of information about Kevlar and polyester in the sewing thread. I think I calculated Kevlar was 6X the price per foot and 2X the strength for an equivalent Tex size. Kevlar is sticky, kind of like rubber so it does not flow through a sewing machine as easy as polyester. Polyester is slick. A size 18 needle works well with Gutterman's upholstery thread sold at Joann's fabric stores. It is Tex 70 or V-69 size and is equivalent to Tera 40 as was stated by a rep from Gutterman in a sewing thread. I had to go to a size 20 needle to sew with a V-92 thread.

Thx!

I was curious about the kevlar, but did not hear about outside of you mentioning it and seeing it for sale. Good information to know.

You can always use V69 thread for general sewing of jeans or just about anything. I usually added a spool of Guttermans upholstery thread from Joanns everytime I ordered something. It was only about $4. Sailrite has the formula for calculating stitch strength on their website. I practiced sewing seatbelt webbing and trying to pull it apart. I posted about it on the main sewing thread.

Last edited:
You can always use V69 thread for general sewing of jeans or just about anything. I usually added a spool of Guttermans upholstery thread from Joanns everytime I ordered something. It was only about $4. Sailrite has the formula for calculating stitch strength on their website. I practiced sewing seatbelt webbing and trying to pull it apart. I posted about it on the main sewing thread.

Thanks!

I just received my sailrite catalog.

Was the below link what you’re referring to?

I checked joannes and it is $4.19 / 325 yards

Rocky woods has it for $8.78. 1,300 yards.

Will be ordering some polyester to test and some fabric too.

Thanks!

Sailrite...How to sew webbing loops. Yes. It is referenced in the sewing info thread. Basically, each stitch is 1.5x the thread's breaking strength. Count the stitches and add them up.
Rocky woods has a much better price on the Gutterman's thread. What are their shipping charges?

Is there a way to tell what type of thread just from looking at it? I ordered some military surplus thread and the description doesn't say. Sportsmansguide has lots of surplus thread for cheap and it comes in bulk. Reviews said it was industrial thread suitable for thick material and had to have 18 needle

Sailrite...How to sew webbing loops. Yes. It is referenced in the sewing info thread. Basically, each stitch is 1.5x the thread's breaking strength. Count the stitches and add them up.
Rocky woods has a much better price on the Gutterman's thread. What are their shipping charges?

Haven’t ordered yet. When I do (this weekend I will), I’ll let you know the shipping charge.

Is there a way to tell what type of thread just from looking at it? I ordered some military surplus thread and the description doesn't say. Sportsmansguide has lots of surplus thread for cheap and it comes in bulk. Reviews said it was industrial thread suitable for thick material and had to have 18 needle

Sorry, I do not know. Maybe someone more versed can assist.

Cotton will absorb water the synthetics will not. Dip the end in a drop and see. Nylon is a polyamide and polyester is a polyester. They are both slicker than cotton. 65/35 poly/cotton blends are common. Hard to tell exactly. Did you pull test it with a spring scale to see where it breaks?

Back