• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Throwing knives

DaWiz9578

New to it, thought it would be a cool gift for the guys in the family. Open to suggestions. Figure next covid allowable get together we could have some sort of competition. Thanks in advance.

New to it, thought it would be a cool gift for the guys in the family. Open to suggestions. Figure next covid allowable get together we could have some sort of competition. Thanks in advance.

I bought my dad one from Cold Steel and it throws and sticks well. It is good for the money and not so steep that you couldn't buy several easily.

Bought a couple of sets on the same idea a few years back. Have had a lot of fun throwing them with the kids.

There are a lot of generic models available. Gil Hibben and John Bailey are the names inscribed on the ones I have. Bigger/ heavier models are easier to learn the technique on, in my opinion. A flat mill file is a highly recommended addition to the set. The chinks and burrs that inevitable form on the knives will have to be immediately filed smooth lest one slices one's hand open at the throw.

A cut of three trunk makes a fine backstop, endgrain being more gentle on the blades. Conifers, like pine, spruce and fir, have in general softer wood and seem to be more readily useable for this. Or a backstop could be built from scrap lumber. Lots of ideas on this in the net.

Have fun and please report back on the subject.20201128_123043.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a couple of sets on the same idea a few years back. Have had a lot of fun throwing them with the kids.

There are a lot of generic models available. Gil Hibben and John Bailey are the names inscribed on the ones I have. Bigger/ heavier models are easier to learn the technique on, in my opinion. A flat mill file is a highly recommended addition to the set. The chinks and burrs that inevitable form on the knives will have to be immediately filed smooth lest one slices one's hand open at the throw.

A cut of three trunk makes a fine backstop, endgrain being more gentle on the blades. Conifers, like pine, spruce and fir, have in general softer wood and seem to be more readily useable for this. Or a backstop could be built from scrap lumber. Lots of ideas on this in the net.

Have fun and please report back on the subject.View attachment 40301
Ended up going with some gil hibbons. Got 3 sets of 3 for myself my uncle and nephew. Figure if anyone takes to it they can make a more invested purchase. A lot of throwing knives are out of stock. Is this similar to ammo as in its bought up in a pandemic freakout?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129-174228.png
    Screenshot_20201129-174228.png
    714.2 KB · Views: 5
Back