• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Timber Tread : A tree step attachment

LASOutdoorsmen

Timber Tread : A tree step attachment: http://youtu.be/CmpXuMgHtxA
Here's my initial review.
Some pros I'd like to reiterate
. They stack nicely
0fee994c0c82c3f8cd5b862732092af1.jpg

. They offer a wide foot platform.
dbb06504201bb14e85dd5d57266e834d.jpg

. Lightweight

One possible explanation for their short appearance on the market is probably because of the last sentence of their warning label
7ec83fdbb5cefd602586eca74a6147e1.jpg

Interesting. I was daydreaming about a bicycle pedal style step mod... this is very, very similar to that idea I had.

This isn't so much a review as it is preview... :D

I'd like to see what they look like installed on actual tree steps, and which tree steps they are actually compatibly with: for example the ameristep screws they have the regular ones and the grizzly steps, each have a bend that angles the step upwards at the end of the step - would they fit on these?

Also a field test would be nice, or at least a live demonstration. And if they're not on the market we can assume you bought them used? More info, man!

I literally just pulled them out the box. They are brand new, never used. The are made to fit on those steps with the slight bent end. You can actually see that in the video. The contact point on the outer end of step is shorter than the other contact point to compensate for the bend. I will do a field test next week during the Thanksgiving break.
Please be patient.

d_rek said:
Interesting. I was daydreaming about a bicycle pedal style step mod... this is very, very similar to that idea I had.

This isn't so much a review as it is preview... :D

I'd like to see what they look like installed on actual tree steps, and which tree steps they are actually compatibly with: for example the ameristep screws they have the regular ones and the grizzly steps, each have a bend that angles the step upwards at the end of the step - would they fit on these?

Also a field test would be nice, or at least a live demonstration. And if they're not on the market we can assume you bought them used? More info, man!
fc08d147f7da8fd574d7643eabc6c05e.jpg
b6d34359500d7ffe0279de57e6a13e1d.jpg
fb7f2ef5bf70db31f5d4b84321c741a2.jpg

I got ahold of the owner of Timber Tread. Just like a lot of small businesses, it was hard for them to get the business off the ground because of overhead. The product it sound, he said there are no problems with the product.

They are ok, I have used them for a few years with my saddle and tree suit.

Do these have to be put on before the tree step is tightened to the tree? The step should always be touching the tree at the bottom L, if it is not, you are just asking for it to break.

d_rek said:

I've been thinking about the same exact thing. My only concern is limiting the amount of swiveling they can do. To some extent the rotation would be awesome because it would keep them flat against your foot as you change angles/hang position. However, when moving step to step, they would likely spin, which is obviously very bad.

I also use tree bolts, not steps, so I don't have the vertical portion of the step that prevents that rotation.

I have a couple of ideas to overcome that though, one of them would utilize an extra hole drilled above the step bolt and a shorter grade 8 bolt that could limit or stop all movement of the pedal with a modified stem, or if using the timber treads, drill through the top for the stopper bolt.

My other idea includes rubber tubing and hose clamps. Ill have to hit home cheapot and wally world when i can.

redsquirrel, I would not recommend sliding them on till the step is screwed in all the way.
LASOutdoorsmaan, They are worth the $25.55 you paid for the 10 of them on Ebay. They work fine for getting up and down the tree, but were not very good for ME to use as top steps with my saddle, or suit. Picture being 6'3" and over 220 using traditional equipment while bowhunting I tend to really have to lean with the long Recurve (string angle), and steep downward shot angle because I limit my shot distance to under 20 yards, and I am usually quite high in the tree, I do need steps that will absolutely not move. These have not worked great for me in the past. Like I said for MYSELF, I could not continue to use them as top steps.Although, they work fine for my youngest to climb into the treehouse.

100rollie said:
redsquirrel, I would not recommend sliding them on till the step is screwed in all the way.
LASOutdoorsmaan, They are worth the $25.55 you paid for the 10 of them on Ebay. They work fine for getting up and down the tree, but were not very good for ME to use as top steps with my saddle, or suit. Picture being 6'3" and over 220 using traditional equipment while bowhunting I tend to really have to lean with the long Recurve (string angle), and steep downward shot angle because I limit my shot distance to under 20 yards, and I am usually quite high in the tree, I do need steps that will absolutely not move. These have not worked great for me in the past. Like I said for MYSELF, I could not continue to use them as top steps.Although, they work fine for my youngest to climb into the treehouse.

Great, thanks for the info!

100rollie said:
Thanks for putting my business out there. That was very unnecessary.
Different strokes, for different folks. I can't say what I don't know. I'll be testing them this week. Everyone be on the look for a video.

Realize the thread is pretty old, but I just picked up a few and used them as side steps next to my platform. They go on fairly easy aside from the pin - need to be bare fingered to do it. I love having the wider surface area on the tree steps. They don't move unless the screw-in moves, which is nice because I usually have them angled like motorcycle pegs.

I haven't used them as my sole platform, but I did spend a majority of my time on them vs. the platform. I like to straddle the tree if I'm sitting and these fit the bill perfectly.

IMHO, for a preset with screw-ins, they'd be dynamite.

20181214_075502.jpg

Back