• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Time to set up

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
I found a decent number of new spots over the winter that I wanted to set up, but due to work stuff I have not been able to get to them yet. Well that has calmed down and my next couple of weeks are all about getting my trees ready. I have 5 particular buck beds that I'm setting up on and about another 10 spots I would like to have ready for traditional sits and rut hunts. Rather than hunting completely mobile I am going to set up on these beds just like I would any other spot using my tree spikes/permanent setup. I do not plan on hunting them more than once or twice during the season but when I have a spot pre scouted I would much rather have it setup prior to the season because it makes getting in quiet much easier, especially trying to hunt close to a bed. I will try to document some of these setups and I am also going to try to use my go pro on my head strap to film a set up to give people an idea of how I set up a tree.

Hopefully getting out soon to get at least 1 tree set up today. Looks like we have some weather coming in this afternoon so I can probably only get 1 in.

So I was able to get out and get 2 trees set up over the weekend. On saturday I set up on a bed I found back in January. I had backtracked a nice sized track along the side of this ridge in the snow and after going over/under a bunch of downed trees and rocks on a 45 degree incline I found a big bed full of poop. There really weren't many rubs in the area but it was a big bed, big poop, all alone and based off the track I followed I figured it had to be a buck bed. I got out late saturday morning to set it up and I went over to the bed to check it out and put surveyors tape so I could judge how I could set up so he can't see me come in. I got to the bed and it was still full of poop so he is still using it! Yay! I marked it with the tape and headed back to where I planned to setup. Here is a map of the setup.
14286672964_edf3508866_z.jpg

There is a big rocky knob in between his bed and where I am setup so he can not see me approach or climb my tree. The knob is marked with the red blob on the map, and my approach is the arrow. I will wait for a west or northwest wind to hunt this spot. I am 130 yards from his bed. The thing that originally intrigued me the most about the beast system is using the wind to be where the deer are at at any given time. I'm really hoping this spot pans out and I at least have a close encounter and can learn something from it.
Here are some pictures. The first one is facing the knob where the deer will hopefully come from from the ground, and the second is from the tree.
14287178365_94037a988d.jpg

14100539828_bbe8fd79fc_z.jpg

This is the tree I am in. I always try to look for a Y in the tree or at least to be right around a decent sized branch if I can for some cover.
14100498849_88300d4e10_o.jpg

14100536508_ae0fdb73c2.jpg

This is a photo of the bed.
14100498839_cf529150a7_o.jpg

This spot is completely set up and I will not be back to it until the first time I hunt it.

The second spot I setup is also on a bed I found in January. I did not document it as well, but I am pushing my luck a bit more in this spot. Similar to the other spot I am using a little knob in the topography to allow me to sneak in to this spot, but I can only sneak in while there is foliage. Once it drops he will probably be able to see me. I think this spot will be good for 1 early season hunt due to the location of the bed, and then I should be able to do an all day rut hunt here as well. The reason I set up so tight was because of all the rubs on this little bench about 40 yards from my tree. If I moved any further than where I was I would getting too far away from where they were being funneled through and I don't think they would come through any one spot consistently. This is going to be a really tough spot to hunt just due to the distance. In order to hunt it without spooking the deer in the known bed I have to hike almost 3 miles in. Any other location where I could park would come either right down hill of the bed or directly upwind of the bed. I will probably take my bike in this old rocky road and hopefully take about 1.5 miles off the hike. I did try to film this spot with my go pro on my helmet cam because I want to post a video of how I set up my trees but I wasn't happy with the angle. I will try again on my next tree.

Hopefully I can get at least 2 more set up next weekend!

Cool looks like it should set up well.
I wish I had topography I really think it would make things easier.

I grew up hunting flatland with swamps and thickets like where you are so when I moved to open hardwoods in hilly country it was a culture shock. When I found the beast I was just starting to really learn some of the things that they preach. Finding that site has definitely shortened my learning curve and helped me put together things that I had noticed but not realized. Hill country has its own challenges though!

Back