• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tips for cold weather in the saddle?

Spur

Put them here if you don't mind!!! I am very active in the Boy Scouts, so I do a lot of camping and a fair amount of backpacking. I have transitioned into hammock from tent years ago and will never look back, however cold was always something one had to know how to address and prepare for. I imagine similar issues with hunting in the saddle. In the saddle, would it go on over your jacket or under your jacket (my cold weather jacket comes about 3-5 inches below my waist)? How bad does the compression of insulation by the saddle impact the cold? How does one mitigate the effect of breezes on a cold day when you are so exposed?

In the stand, I bring a blanket with me just in case and my railing has some fabric draped around the perimeter to break up any breeze blowing. I can overcome a lot of it with layering, but how hard is it to manage layers in the saddle? I used to make fun of folks who used those chemical heaters, but after a sub freezing night in a hammock with 3 or 4 of those, I have revised my opinion, and always have several in my pack :)

I have a feeling there are a ton of questions that I should be asking but have not thought of so any other ideas, throw them in here!

First off welcome. Great questions

You have 2 choices under or over your saddle. If under, insulation will become compressed, especially if you are using down. If over your bridge will more than likely get in the way. To mitigate this, some gents are opening opening a slit in front of their jacket. Others using a removable bridge are opening 2 slits in either side of their bibs etc so they attach and detach their bridge and lineman lanyard.

As far as having a windbreak. Not so sure. However, some of the guys are using an HBS, (HEATER BODY SUIT) an again making adjustments as needed.

Use the chemical heaters.

Hopefully this helps.

Monday morning it was in the 20s here in MA. I had a chem 'body' heater pad that you peel and stick to the inside of your base layer. I usually put it right on my kidneys. it works somewhat. also had toe warmers that didn't work at all (must be old) and hand warmers inside a fleece muff. I was still cold but not as bad. I've been wearing windproof/waterproof softshell pants because we've had like 6 inches of rain here in MA since the beginning of Nov OR we've had 20-40 mph winds. trying to find similar windproof/waterproof jacket but all that I've found are super loud. I don't want to spend $200+ for kuiu or sitka...but may have to bight the bullet on that.

now the forecast is for 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow night and rain all day friday. lovely weather for peak rut :(

oh and also...I'm a big fan of 'warming up from the inside'. I did several sets of situps, squats, and 'ring rows' in the saddle. might as well get a workout in while I'm NOT seeing deer. lol

I am heading to Northern Maine for 10 days after Thankgiving day dinner... Single digits I bet. I am sure I will have some ideas about cold weather saddle hunting.....brrrr

This morning in My part of Canada it was -15c with a 7 mph wind.
I hunted out of a Guidos Web. Nice to have in the cold.
- 1200 gram insulated hunting boots
- long underwear top and bottom
- heated jacket (huge help!)
- arctic shield insulated bib over the heated jacket
- blaze orange shell
- blaze orange winter balaclava
- hand muff with six adhesive heat pads in it.
- extra heat pads in pocket.
- blaze baseball cap over balaclava for morning sun.
782fcc6ebcf8370ee09e4ac1101e32ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kept me warm. However my feet did get cold. (I left my spikes on while using my web - super easy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Chemical hand and toe warmers are worth their weight in gold in cold weather.
- I use layers including merino, down and thinsulate. I add jackets/shirts while in the saddle. I climb down if have to put on more pants.
- Balaclava is great with a hat over it.
- Wind block layer is essential if there is any wind.
- I really like my insulated vest and vests in general for keeping the core warm while not restricting arm movement. I have even cut the sleeves off some shirts for cold weather hunting.
- Seeing deer keeps your mind off the cold so make sure you do that!!!!

- Chemical hand and toe warmers are worth their weight in gold in cold weather.
- I use layers including merino, down and thinsulate. I add jackets/shirts while in the saddle. I climb down if have to put on more pants.
- Balaclava is great with a hat over it.
- Wind block layer is essential if there is any wind.
- I really like my insulated vest and vests in general for keeping the core warm while not restricting arm movement. I have even cut the sleeves off some shirts for cold weather hunting.
- Seeing deer keeps your mind off the cold so make sure you do that!!!!

It's amazing what seeing a deer will do to your body temperature...even a small doe.

Back