• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To DIY build or to not DIY build

Outdoorsman33

Thinking about building some diy sticks and buying stand offs and other gear from DanO. I want to drill the post to cut some weight myself I work at a machine shop so this isn’t too bad of a issue. Is there any tips or tricks to drilling these as far as distances apart and size of holes? In your opinion what are the pros and cons of diy sticks(cheaper, customization, reliability,etc)? Plus I would like to add a multi step aider to the bottom stick would there be any issue using the aided with all the drilled holes on a diy stick?

I read on here somewhere of someone doing this and in the end he said he would not do it again because of the time it took to save a few oz was not worth it

I just measured my sticks that I bought from DanO. It appears the holes are roughly 1/2" and also spaced about 1/2" apart. I love mine. They are fully customizable as far as length and step spacing go. It isn't going to be the cheapest option out there but you get what you pay for. I use a moveable multi step aider and haven't had any issues. The sticks are rock solid. The large standoffs are a feature that you will really appreciate when climbing.
6c48a872e325ec1d6ea984f928530815.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Was the hole drilled for the versa button or did you do that yourself? I’m making a short stick/platform and I’m trying to figure out if there is a general rule of thumb or guideline to measure out where to put the button in respect to the length of the stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had DanO drill everything for me. So I'm not positive. I just measured where the hole is drilled for the versabutton and it's 15" from the bottom on a 24" stick. I am sure DanO will give you all the details you need as far as drilling, great guy to work with. Shoot him a message on here or email him.

I just measured my sticks that I bought from DanO. It appears the holes are roughly 1/2" and also spaced about 1/2" apart. I love mine. They are fully customizable as far as length and step spacing go. It isn't going to be the cheapest option out there but you get what you pay for. I use a moveable multi step aider and haven't had any issues. The sticks are rock solid. The large standoffs are a feature that you will really appreciate when climbing.
6c48a872e325ec1d6ea984f928530815.jpg

Roughly how much did it cost you buying full set up from DanO?

Good question, I don't remember exactly but around $125 per stick. That was for parts and having them machined and put together.

Good question, I don't remember exactly but around $125 per stick. That was for parts and having them machined and put together.

What was your reason for going with a 24 inch stick vs 20? I haven’t really messed with sticks a lot and I’m stuck on the fence on how long I’d want them. At this point a 30 inch 3 stand off stick doesn’t sound bad but then you run into packing them.

They are 24" with 22" step spacing. I like the 22" step spacing so it fits my needs. DanO will make them however long you want. The 24" total length are less packable than say a 20" or 18" stick but I usually only carry 2-3 sticks with an aider anyways so I wanted a longer stick.

Was the hole drilled for the versa button or did you do that yourself? I’m making a short stick/platform and I’m trying to figure out if there is a general rule of thumb or guideline to measure out where to put the button in respect to the length of the stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DanO told me about a 1/3 from the end of stick for a 24” stick.

Back