• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

To many options

Cory T

Since making the switch to saddle hunting I have accumulated various types of climbing methods. WE stepps, bolts (grade 8 & carbon), 4 different sticks, spurs, using aiders both single, multiple step. I really need to narrow down my system. So my goal this off season is to give my we steps a serious effort. Bolts are my go to but not legal everywhere. Love sticks except for packing them. Really like spurs but if a quick tree exit is required ( the infamous belly gurgle) these just aren't going to work. Anyone else having these dilemmas?

. There is something to accommodate everyone. I think is normal to try different methods. You find what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

. There is something to accommodate everyone. I think is normal to try different methods. You find what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just make sure you sell the rest to us...at a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this dilemma but love my WE steps now that i have my system. I went from sticks, to spurs, back to sticks and now steps. I still use screw ins where legal. Its a good thing to have these options as you never know what will work best until you try them. Stepps take a little practice but imho are the bees knees.

Anyone else having these dilemmas?

For sure. Each has positive attributes worth their purchase and trial, while also having drawbacks that keep us all searching. Chalk it up as part of the fun of it all I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I say get really good at TWO methods.
I also have 20 options that I played with and it is bad when it is 4:00 in the morning and you are on your way out the door trying to decide what to bring. And then you are in a tree and a storm is rolling in and you aren't 100% fluent in the method you chose!

My method this season will depend on how strong I can get after laying off last season.
Will probably be Stirrup Climb, Tree Bolts for presets, Rappel for backup descent method.

I agree we are in a good place to have so many , good, safe climbing options. I've tried a few since I've been on this site. Luckily I was able to borrow some of the different components to put some of the systems together, and didn't need to buy them all. I finally settled on the stepps and the knaider/swaider. It took a lot of practice until I got proficient tying the stepp on, and getting the linesman working right. Now I feel like I've found the combination that fits my criteria of safe, quiet, pack-ability, and weight. I'm now looking forward to adding the perch to my system. Right now I use the Predator as a platform. I hope I can shave a little more weight, and the perch does what I need it to do. But it better do more than just save me some weight.

Since making the switch to saddle hunting I have accumulated various types of climbing methods. WE stepps, bolts (grade 8 & carbon), 4 different sticks, spurs, using aiders both single, multiple step. I really need to narrow down my system. So my goal this off season is to give my we steps a serious effort. Bolts are my go to but not legal everywhere. Love sticks except for packing them. Really like spurs but if a quick tree exit is required ( the infamous belly gurgle) these just aren't going to work. Anyone else having these dilemmas?
Sky dump, prob solved

Back