• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Today i practiced a little with the spurs

TheYote

I basically drove to my lease to practice using my spurs and saddle lol. My intention was to hunt but I'm so nervous and uneasy that the actual hunting part isn't enjoyable. I actually dread the getting down part.

I found that what I have the most difficult with is setting up the platform and how to transfer from the tree to it. And secondly the reverse gives me the most problem, getting from the platform to the tree. I dont know if I need to set it low and step "down" onto it and when going from tree to platform , do I need to be climbing up and then circling the tree to climb down when going from platform to tree?

A 3rd issue I noticed is I'm starting to get comfy with "step step flip" with th4 linemens belt both up and down. My 3rd issue is after I've sat for a few hours I noticed my fear returns and I'm bear hugging the tree on the way down. I don't know of this is because I'm stiff from sitting or a nervous wreck from trying to navigate from the platform to the tree and scare myself.

On a side note I gaffed out on the way down. My left should smacked the tree and my knuckles are skinned a little but I'm glad it happened because now I know what to expect out of the linemans belt whenever that happens

I set my platform, climb a little above and to the side, set tether and then step onto platform. I think I mentioned to you before I use the TreeSqueeze so I have very little fear of falling or sliding down the tree. I have not yet gotten comfortable with taking the spurs off. Once I practice rappelling I will take then off and then just rappel down.

https://buckinghammfg.com/products/treesqueeze-7l08t18j/

I know flinginaeros put out a great video about using the the spikes and setting up and getting on and off of the platform. Also taking the spikes on and off on the platform. Definitely watch the video. Practice a lot at ground level. Maybe you need to use your old climbing method for the rest of the season,or at least until you become more proficient. The nervousness ,and dread both rob you of an enjoyable hunting experience, and the tension it creates could cause you to have an accident. Working in spikes and climbing in spikes is a bit different in that while your climbing every thing is mostly linear. Your weight is dependably consistent, more or less, with the exception of passing some limbs. Working in spikes, your weight can shift. Your body turns which can cause the gaff angles to change. Setting the platform is a fairly straight forward operation. You can keep things in front of you, and control the height at witch you work. Iv'e not ever set a platform in spikes but imagine there should be enough room to set the platform directly in front you. Slightly below waist level,so as not to interfere with your lanyard. Then side step the tree, and then move up to just slightly higher and step over and slightly down onto the platform. Reverse operations to get down. When I hear bear hugging the tree I see in my head the gap between your knees and the tree getting a little steep(thus changing the angle of the gaff), which could cause you to gaff out. On the gaff out, do you know what you did to cause it?

I know flinginaeros put out a great video about using the the spikes and setting up and getting on and off of the platform. Also taking the spikes on and off on the platform. Definitely watch the video. Practice a lot at ground level. Maybe you need to use your old climbing method for the rest of the season,or at least until you become more proficient. The nervousness ,and dread both rob you of an enjoyable hunting experience, and the tension it creates could cause you to have an accident. Working in spikes and climbing in spikes is a bit different in that while your climbing every thing is mostly linear. Your weight is dependably consistent, more or less, with the exception of passing some limbs. Working in spikes, your weight can shift. Your body turns which can cause the gaff angles to change. Setting the platform is a fairly straight forward operation. You can keep things in front of you, and control the height at witch you work. Iv'e not ever set a platform in spikes but imagine there should be enough room to set the platform directly in front you. Slightly below waist level,so as not to interfere with your lanyard. Then side step the tree, and then move up to just slightly higher and step over and slightly down onto the platform. Reverse operations to get down. When I hear bear hugging the tree I see in my head the gap between your knees and the tree getting a little steep(thus changing the angle of the gaff), which could cause you to gaff out. On the gaff out, do you know what you did to cause it?
I'm not sure what caused it. I had plenty of room away from the tree so the angle was there. I THINK it may be because I didn't kick, so to speak, my left foot into the bark and kind of just put my weight on it to puncture the tree on the way down and it slipped out. My belt caught me and my right leg was bent so much that my knee was up by my shoulder lol. Scared me but now I know what to expect, atleast one aspect of it.

I've already experienced the weight shift etc. Some trees I climb have a slight lean and if I'm too far away from the tree I can feel the pressure on either of my legs as my body begins to turn. I try to stay away from those trees.

I was unaware that you set your ridge and tether up prior to stepping onto your platform. That may in fact help tremendous

I'm not sure what caused it. I had plenty of room away from the tree so the angle was there. I THINK it may be because I didn't kick, so to speak, my left foot into the bark and kind of just put my weight on it to puncture the tree on the way down and it slipped out. My belt caught me and my right leg was bent so much that my knee was up by my shoulder lol. Scared me but now I know what to expect, atleast one aspect of it.

I've already experienced the weight shift etc. Some trees I climb have a slight lean and if I'm too far away from the tree I can feel the pressure on either of my legs as my body begins to turn. I try to stay away from those trees.

I was unaware that you set your ridge and tether up prior to stepping onto your platform. That may in fact help tremendous

Until you get comfortable using spikes. Stick with your step step flip method except when your stepping up lock that knee straight almost like bending it backwards “ use common sense there” and do the same when stepping up with your other foot. This digs the spur in perpendicular to tree. It doesn’t matter how hard you spike into the tree if your angle isn’t right you can still gaff out. A reference for lineman’s belt adjustment is you should be able to just touch the tree with your knuckles with your elbow against your belly button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry quoted wrong post ^^^^^

Until you get comfortable using spikes. Stick with your step step flip method except when your stepping up lock that knee straight almost like bending it backwards “ use common sense there” and do the same when stepping up with your other foot. This digs the spur in perpendicular to tree. It doesn’t matter how hard you spike into the tree if your angle isn’t right you can still gaff out. A reference for lineman’s belt adjustment is you should be able to just touch the tree with your knuckles with your elbow against your belly button.

Yea me and Kurt talked about body lean and angle in another thread about this. Today I had my lean and angle correct. Just going from tree to platform and vice versa makes my stomach turn that high up. When I'm leaving only one foot gaffed in the tree or putting on gaff in (getting off the platform) i put a death grip bear hug on the tree. I'm terrified that one spur may give loose lol. I practice this just a few feet off the ground and I am fine. I guess it's more mental than anything.

Don’t need to be no practicing while you are hunting.Wait till you are ultra comfortable on your hooks until you even think about hunting.Use your other method until then.Make buddies with a lineman or an arborist and tell them what you are doing and they will more than likely get a kick out of it and you can get a little hands on instruction.KEEP PRACTICING

I climbed with a linesman and my Tether and would only climb straight trees with no limbs until I got comfortable using them, that Tether will sure give you a piece of mind while climbing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don’t need to be no practicing while you are hunting.Wait till you are ultra comfortable on your hooks until you even think about hunting.Use your other method until then.Make buddies with a lineman or an arborist and tell them what you are doing and they will more than likely get a kick out of it and you can get a little hands on instruction.KEEP PRACTICING
If I knew one locally I would definitely go to them

Yea me and Kurt talked about body lean and angle in another thread about this. Today I had my lean and angle correct. Just going from tree to platform and vice versa makes my stomach turn that high up. When I'm leaving only one foot gaffed in the tree or putting on gaff in (getting off the platform) i put a death grip bear hug on the tree. I'm terrified that one spur may give loose lol. I practice this just a few feet off the ground and I am fine. I guess it's more mental than anything.

If your only concern is while transferring to your platform. Lock the leg that still has a gaff in the tree straight up and down your chances of gaffing out goes way down because your angling all your weight straight into the trees core. My brother is a lineman and showed me this trick when I first started using spurs. It not as comfortable or as quick but sure gives you a little peace of mind until your confident.

If your only concern is while transferring to your platform. Lock the leg that still has a gaff in the tree straight up and down your chances of gaffing out goes way down because your angling all your weight straight into the trees core. My brother is a lineman and showed me this trick when I first started using spurs. It not as comfortable or as quick but sure gives you a little peace of mind until your confident.

So locking it out parallel to the tree won't make it spur out when transferring?

Getting used to relying on 2 small metal spikes is hard enough. Removing one and only having one left in the tree is unnerving but I know it takes time.

I don’t use spurs. But why no tether up before transferring. Then you cannot fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the bright side, once I'm in the tree I have no issues with relying on my tether/bridge etc. As you see here I'm somewhat leaning back (as far as the tether will allow). I dont think heights is my issue I can lean almost upside down backwards and it doesnt bother me.

Attachments

• 20181226_095315.jpg
    20181226_095315.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 45
I don’t use spurs. But why no tether up before transferring. Then you cannot fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the guys above said to do that too. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that. I just thought only about my linemens belt.

So locking it out parallel to the tree won't make it spur out when transferring?

Getting used to relying on 2 small metal spikes is hard enough. Removing one and only having one left in the tree is unnerving but I know it takes time.

I never had a gaff out when using this method. It seems odd but when you lock out your knee the top shank of your spurs move back towards the back of your calf which angles the gaff into the wood of the tree more. I should note that this may not be as effective when using geckos kiwi Klimbers or climb rites with aluminum pad because their shanks are fixed to to cup pad.

I never had a gaff out when using this method. It seems odd but when you lock out your knee the top shank of your spurs move back towards the back of your calf which angles the gaff into the wood of the tree more. I should note that this may not be as effective when using geckos kiwi Klimbers or climb rites with aluminum pad because their shanks are fixed to to cup pad.

I use geckos lol. I think the climbing issue will resolve itself. Transfering from tree to platform and vice versa is kind of scary because only one spur is in the tree. And if it goes you're in for a painful surprise even being tethered in

Last edited:
I use geckos lol. I think the climbing issue will resolve itself. Transfering from tree to platform and vice versa is kind of scary because only one spur is in the tree. And if it goes you're in for a painful surprise even being tethered in

Its luck of the draw when you gaff out. I’ve been lucky every time even after a ten foot free fall with just lineman’s belt, only some scratches . But I’ve seen videos and heard horror stories that make you cringe.

For transitioning from the tree to the platform & vise versa, forget how high you are. Think of the platform as the ground. How would you take that last step from the tree to the ground? How would you take that fist step from the ground to the tree? Do the same for each with the platform. When putting your platform on the tree or taking it off, always make sure you lanyard is above the platform strap on the tree & make sure you don't hit the platform strap with the gaff when your climbing above it.

For transitioning from the tree to the platform & vise versa, forget how high you are. Think of the platform as the ground. How would you take that last step from the tree to the ground? How would you take that fist step from the ground to the tree? Do the same for each with the platform. When putting your platform on the tree or taking it off, always make sure you lanyard is above the platform strap on the tree & make sure you don't hit the platform strap with the gaff when your climbing above it.
Do you think it would also benefit me if instead of stepping around the tree, hugging it, and trying to get one gaff in before stepping off with my other foot, would it be better if I just stepped up off the platform and once I'm on the tree make my way around to the side and start climbing down?

Back