• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Today's Afternoon Hunt/Practice

bj139

I was hunting/practice Nockamixon Park today using a tether push pole and one stick. I forgot my insect repellent so I was not sure how long I could stay. I treated my pants with permethrin a week ago so I just rubbed my hands on my pants and rubbed my hands on head and neck. It worked pretty well but not 100%. I was able to push the tether to full height, 6 foot for me reaching up and 11 foot for the pole. The tether held remarkably well. I connected my ATC in guide mode to my sit drag, attached my clmbing stick with my double step Helium Aider and up I went. After one sticking a while I don't know how anyone can one stick without aiders. If anyone knows, please let me know. In order to reach my climbing stick release buckle while hanging in the tether I could really only use the bottom step on the stick and the two steps on my aider. This makes sense since my arm from wrist to shoulder is 18 inches. Two times that is 3 feet so that is how far I can move the stick unless I go gymnastic in the saddle. I got up to 17 feet and decided to pull up my Hickory Creek xbow and try a shot at my discharge bucket. I previously paced off the distance from the bucket to the tree at 30 feet. I had to shoot left handed since the target was over my right shoulder but it was easy. I placed the top crosshair on the middle of the bucket and the result is shown below. I then lowered the crossbow since I left my pack in the car where I had my hanger strap. I decided to climb further up and when I unweighted my tether it slid down so I changed my mind. I did not bring the push pole up the tree with me or I would have pushed the tether up another 17 feet up. By hand, it didn't seem worth it. Anyway, successful test for me but I will use my GriGri next time as a progess capture device. The ATC in guide mode is primitive in comparison and jerky on the rappel. You need a sling to release the guide mode so I made
sure I had one.

ATC in guide mode

Push pole, crossbow, rope and climbing stick

Discharge bucket way over there

Climbing stick and crossbow

Crossbow shot result

Tether up 17 feet

Not much penetration?

Last edited:
Cool.i was post it for someone thought I'd share most my stuff preset or I have Branch's most of the time

I am going to try and extend my height later this week as well as try a new push pole idea I had.

Back