• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Too big for a saddle?

diuilin

There's someone who wants to buy an XL Mantis from me, but he wonders if he'd be too big with a 290-pound frame and 44-46-inch waist. The website says 38+ waist, but to my 34-inch waist, it feels like a hammock. And it's rated for 300 lbs. Any bigger guys out there who can give us their experience?

There's someone who wants to buy an XL Mantis from me, but he wonders if he'd be too big with a 290-pound frame and 44-46-inch waist. The website says 38+ waist, but to my 34-inch waist, it feels like a hammock. And it's rated for 300 lbs. Any bigger guys out there who can give us their experience?
I’ve been that big in the saddle before & my sz2 Aeros fit just fine (Jx3 as well), my 2cts that xl mantis is pretty minimalist for a big feller. I’m currently 6’6” 270 w/ 42” waist........ really depends on your build & pressure points 5’6” 290 is gonna ride different than 6’6” 290 if that makes sense. Just pm me & I’ll give you my cell & he can call or text......

Thanks, Bigterp. He's 6'1" so not all that tall for someone at that weight.

I’m 6’3 275 with a 42 inch waist. Just got a phantom this year. Super comfortable. I can’t imagine that an XL mantis wouldn’t be comfortable for my frame too.

I only seem to post to help out other hefty guys for some reason. I feel like the hunting industry is moving away from serving as many people as possible (which is ass backwards with us losing hunters every year), but maybe I'm being too sensitive.

I hunted last year at around 350lbs, 6'1" with a 50" waist. Working on slimming down now for obvious reasons. I use an aero hunter which is technically rated for 500 lbs. I put two longer Amstell bridges on, and use a second tether. I don't split the load between the tethers/bridge, just double up so the only single point of failure is the saddle itself. Probably over kill, but I'm risk averse.

So yes you can do it, even if you are "large and in charge." I am more comfortable in a saddle than a stand (old football back injury). If you do a lot of sitting, the pressure on your knees can be painful without good knee pads. If you use narrow steps the foot/leg stress can be painful. A platform helps. Of course, I haven't seen any platforms rated for 350 lbs, but I don't put full weight on the platform unless I am tethered in.

In my opinion the main issue is finding the gear that helps you get comfortable. As is often repeated here, not everyone has the same portions, so different gear fits different people better.

I did try out the mantis last year. I felt it was solid enough (though only rated for 300 lbs so use at your own risk), but it rode up a bit more than the aero hunter and required more frequent adjustment to stay comfortable.

I’m 6’2” 270 pounds wearing size 42”. I have a XL mantis and I still have about 6 inches of adjustment in the waist

I didn't like the Mantis at 6' & 275lbs, 44in waist. Everybody is shaped/comfortable a bit differently.

I tried the phantom at that size plus a heavy fleece jacket and also found the bridge loops cut into my sides too much to be comfortable turning, but it was more comfortable than the Mantis.

I made a larger version (I affectionately call the PHATom) and it's nicer for my size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been 6’2” 298 with a 40” waist. He’s definitely not too big for a saddle. He’s not too big for an xl mantis. Will he be comfortable? I don’t know. I much prefer the phantom over the mantis but I also spend much of my time sitting. Comfort is such an individual thing. If he’s close by let him spend some time in it. If not he can either buy and resale or go to a saddle meetup and try some there.

Thanks, BLP68! Someone else bought my saddle, but I'm going to pass on your advice. It sounds like he should look for something else.

Have any of you guys tried the size LARGE Recon?

Nope. I looked it up, but I don't see any sizes or weight ratings. That makes me a bit wary.

The tree suit platform looks interesting, but again no weight rating I can find. Their steps also looking interesting. Potentially better than the ROS I started with a couple years ago...

Nope. I looked it up, but I don't see any sizes or weight ratings. That makes me a bit wary.

The tree suit platform looks interesting, but again no weight rating I can find. Their steps also looking interesting. Potentially better than the ROS I started with a couple years ago...
Call Mark and talk to him. He can answer some of your questions. Good guy to work with. I know the large Recon is for really big bodies.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back