• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Torn Rotator Cuff

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
Any of you had this surgery?
I was supposed to have it Friday and I had to postpone it until August 2. How bad was it? How long before y’all went back to work? Did you get all of your range of motion? Have you hurt it again? Or did it fixed right the first time?

I am really stressed out about this. I’m actually having a hard time just signing up. My Father had gall bladder surgery and Died from it 5 days later. I swear I have PSTD from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
No personal experience but iwork with a guy who had it and he was in a sling for quite a while and he has lost range of motion.
I unfortunately had to have exploratory lower back surgery and i just live with the fact I'll never be 100%

gumby

Dec 15, 2018
I have had it, It does different for everyone so anyone's experience will differ. It does hurt and will hurt for months, the getting it back in use hurts. Not a lot of danger from the surgery just the putting to sleep deal, no biggie. After few days you will be thinking, what was I thinking. In a few weeks you will be saying, why didn't I have this sooner. I recovered with full motion and no pain. Go for it better than the pain. Still shoot a 60# bow, with no problem.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
Agreed....think of all those cases were the doctors tell people you'll never be able to walk again etc...and through work ethic and determination people get it done

patriotoutlaw

Jan 12, 2017
Missouri
Sorry to hear about your Daddy. I had shoulder surgery done 20+ yrs ago. The Doc was squirmin, but I had the surgery purposely scheduled for the first week in February, a couple weeks after deer season. I had been driving to work with my thumb hanging in my shirt collar to keep pressure off the shoulder but I wasn't willing to lose a bow season over it. I'm not recommending you do that, its just my way. Each case is unique unto itself so giving concrete advice ain't something I will do. I would however, recommend following your Dr.'s advise on rest, PT visits, PT AT HOME, meds, etc.. My Dr. was a tough one. He was hard on me. I thank him for that. I followed his orders to a T. It took me a while to get back to "normal". It will never be 100% again, but I knew that going in. You learn to adjust. I've had other surgeries that didnt go quite so well, so I consider the shoulder surgery a success. I hunted with a crossbow until I could get my bow arm back up to speed. I'm a retired auto worker so, I know many people who have had the surgery. I witnessed some bad cases, that resulted in multiple surgeries and manipulations and such...BUT, most were back to work in 6 wks. Good luck.

Reactions: Coathanger15

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I know several people that have had it. None of them regretted having the surgery. My stepbrother had it twice on the same shoulder. He actually fell with his arm in a sling about three weeks after the first surgery and messed everything up.

Silvio

May 6, 2019
Grand Blanc MI
YAHOO
silvio26@yahoo.com
Any of you had this surgery?
I was supposed to have it Friday and I had to postpone it until August 2. How bad was it? How long before y’all went back to work? Did you get all of your range of motion? Have you hurt it again? Or did it fixed right the first time?

I am really stressed out about this. I’m actually having a hard time just signing up. My Father had gall bladder surgery and Died from it 5 days later. I swear I have PSTD from that.

Yes, I had mine done last year July, I have full range of motion back and building my strength...but the pain was completely gone at 6weeks...its a marathon recovery not a race. Take your time in rehab..dont rush to get to a certain point...and dont lift anything over 2lbs for the first 8wks....good luck and God Bless

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
Tore my AC and partial rotator cuff. Doctor said 2 months to get to normal, PT said 6 months to a year, reality said 2 years until I felt normal. Even at that point, after tons of rehab and careful weight workouts, I cannot throw a ball like I used to and gave up on a bow, went to an xbow the first season and never even tried again. The more you put into rehab, the better it will be. I could not use my right arm to lift a fork with food to my mouth prior to the surgery and didn't sleep for 8 straight nights due to pain, so it is well worth the surgery.

John H.

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Nov 27, 2014
You’ll be better off dealing with the pain IMO because it should only be present when you move in certain ways. I’m a lot like @Bwhana . It didn’t solve much. Had surgery twice on my right shoulder with minimal improvement and have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder and have no intention of doing anything about bit.

rambotogo

Oct 24, 2017
I don,t like doctors and anesthesiologists of the two I dislike the anesthesiologists more . Done a lot of construction work for one and he said I can put you to sleep but its up to God to wake you up.

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
I have heard all angles about the surgery I'm a bit apprehensive for sure, I heard a few guys say they haven't had the surgery and wont. others say they shouldn't have waited, I'm in constant pain and cant even put a jacket on now, I think its time

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Nov 27, 2014
@ImThere
To be clear... This was obviously my single experience. There is clearly evidence to support improvement from the surgery. As @Bwhana stated, the bounce back time frame is much different than what they told me. And for me the surgery (twice) did not deliver the relief promised. Raising my bow with my right arm before I draw hurts as much today as it did pre surgery.

Root

Dec 4, 2016
I've had both labrums repaired. Biceps reattached and rotators done. My first one right arm 0 pain and 95% back to normal. My left is another story. I now have first rib rotation issues and a hand that falls asleep. But I'm not easy on myself. I'm back to shooting pretty close to where I left off.

I'd highly recommend getting it done. Follow their instructions and push yourself to get your range back. Strengthen your shoulder and maintain it.

My inlaw had his done and acted like a baby through the whole pt. Soon as his insurance cut off his pt he quit doing exercises. He has no strength and 60% range of motion. Sitting on a chair feeling sorry for yourself won't help recovery.

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
When the pain hits a certain point, unfortunately you don't have much choice. I know several guys that had results like @huck72412 had, but many others that were fine in the end. One friend went to his son's high school football game 2 weeks after surgery, took his arm out of the sling to rest it, got excited on a play and raised both his arms quickly....surgery #2 as a result.

Research the doctors heavily and don't go to someone just because they are the one nearby. I chose one of the docs that works on Carolina Panthers and Hornets players because I figured they wouldn't let just any surgeon do theirs. The PT is not optional and the exercises they assign to do at home are critical to recover. Don't overdo anything either or you will set yourself up for failure. Prep mentally for it to take longer than told and err on the side of caution, you can't out tough this one once the surgery is done.

Odd note, as a result of mine, I occasionally break the scar tissue in my AC joint doing various things. Sounds like a bone snapping in my shoulder and scared the crap out of me the first time, but zero pain when it happens and the doc says it just grows back together with no concerns!

John H.

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
I did everything I could to avoid the surgery.
I had a SLAP tear 2 years ago, and I did 4 months of intensive PT and steroid shots instead of cutting and stitching. My shoulder will always be looser than I’d like. Without regular PT work on it from time to time, it runs the risk of damaging again at some point. BUT, I didn’t have to roll the dice on getting hosed with a bad surgery and scar tissue.

My shoulder responded well to the steroid shots, and I literally did 2 PT workouts a day for 4 straight months (3 a week at the therapist’s office, and 11 a week at home from his prescription). If it hadn’t responded so well, I’d have been forced into the surgery for sure.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I had it over 10 years ago. Not fun, but better than not having it. I recovered to about 95%. Never got to 100%. I would do it again if I needed it.
The key to recovery is physical therapy. Also not fun but it's essential.

chenryiv

Mar 19, 2019
Georgia
Season opens in about a month and unfortunately I’m going to miss this one. Having surgery on Tuesday morning. Haven’t missed an opening in about 15 years. It’s gonna be a tough one for sure. The Doc says it’s gonna be about 5-6 month before I’ll have my full strength back. Just in time for turkey season.

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
Season opens in about a month and unfortunately I’m going to miss this one. Having surgery on Tuesday morning. Haven’t missed an opening in about 15 years. It’s gonna be a tough one for sure. The Doc says it’s gonna be about 5-6 month before I’ll have my full strength back. Just in time for turkey season.

That’s a bummer to hear man. Hope you recover quickly!!!

Sipsey

Dec 24, 2016
W. Alabama
I had my left shoulder done about 20 years ago and my right one at about about 10. Got 99% back with left and about 95 with the right. Proper, sustained rehab is the key to getting range and strength back. Depending on your vocation, it can take a while to get back 100%. It took 3 months for me on each before I was at close to normal.

It depends on how bad your damage is and age. I put off my left one till I couldn’t bear the pain, the right was an injury that gave me no choice. At 68 I now use a crossbow, but I still climb with bolts and can do more than most of my friends that are close in age.

Give the rehab 100% and don’t cut it short and be prepared to sleep on a couch with pillows for a few days after surgery. It can appear an insurmountable situation, but I’m sure the guys on here can muster a few prayers for your peace and a speedy recovery.

This too shall pass!

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com

Good luck. I had mine Aug 2nd. I am a little sore as far as pain now. I’m in less pain now than before the surgery until I try to move it. I have good motion according to the PT. I’m still restricted to no movement by the Dr.

My wife says I’m missing the hunting season also. I don’t believe her. Lol

Reactions: Sipsey