• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tough rope for ropeman 2

Marc W

I am looking for good rope to use as a tether with a ropeman 2. I have some solid black rope I got from eastern mountain sports back when I was stationed on the east coast that works great. It is getting old and is shorter than I would like but have no idea what brand it is. I tried some stuff from my local rei and the ropeman 2 tore up the outer cover in a few sits.

Tough solid black static line could have been bluewater ropes assualtline. Its pretty stiff and abrasion resistant used alot in the rescue biz since it has a NFPA certification.

ropeman 2 can be tough on ropes, I have 9mm sterling htp for SRT and am planning on upgrading my tether and lineman belt with some more from WesSpur when I get around to it.

Tough solid black static line could have been bluewater ropes assualtline. Its pretty stiff and abrasion resistant used alot in the rescue biz since it has a NFPA certification.
Do you know if it is splicable?

ropeman 2 can be tough on ropes, I have 9mm sterling htp for SRT and am planning on upgrading my tether and lineman belt with some more from WesSpur when I get around to it.
Does the sterling hold up to the ropeman 2? I really don’t want to pay for sewn or spliced loops on a rope that won’t last me very long.

STerling, mammut, bluewater, edelweiss. A high quality climbing rope, preferrable dry treated.

I used to work at EMS. Their headquaters being housed out of peterborough NH and Sterling being out of biddeford maine meant the majority of what we carried was sterling or mammut(which used to be Climb High, and is based out of Shelburne, VT). I would be surprised if it was not sterling, or Mammut(Climb High depending on age), honestly.

sterling HTP works great with Ropeman 2. Even with softer ropes, you just have to be a little more careful how you disengage it. Once you get the technique down it doesn't damage the rope.

How has that been working for you compared to a setup with a ropeman 1? Seems the ropeman 2 is more readily available

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
This is the only rope that I have that it works well on. The tether is no problem. The lineman's belt it would pick at the sheath a little in the beginning but after that it has been working well.

In order to use the Ropeman 2 you can’t disengage it under tension. That is mainly what pulls the strands from the rope sheath.

What you have to do is relieve the tension first (pull yourself toward the tree). Once that tension is relieved, then you can disengage the rope grab, and you need to do that completely or again the teeth can grab rope. Once you get the technique down it can be done easily one handed in one smooth motion. I can use it with soft ropes like Predator and have no issues. But the HTP is a little more forgiving and a rope I prefer for other reasons anyway.

Thanks guys, looks like I need to order some http with sewn loops.

I too use the ropeman 2 on 3/8 Sterling HTP, after seeing that @redsquirrel said he is using this rope. I have found they work well together, but only have maybe 15 hunts with this system. I have not noticed wear on my tether, but I do not release tension under load on my tether, I cannot comment on the damage it may do there.

The Ropeman 2 works on my 11mm Sampson Predator rope, but I can see how long term it would cause more wear than a Ropeman 1 due to the weave of the rope being less tight and the material softer.

Back