• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tracking help/reassurance

Wyatt_burp

Hi all, long time no see.

Hit a doe at 36 yards, I guessed 30, hickory creek mini, 135gr zwickey fixed blade. 1.5 fletchings missing when I recovered the arrow. Complete pass through, I sharpen my broadheads to a razor. Foamy pink "meat" on arrow about an hour after shot. I shot, thought it went under, she reacted to noise, perked up and took off at medium pace keeping covered. I stayed in tree for another 45 minutes before I climbed down. Did hear branches breaking, but not loud enough for a "crash". Found arrow covered in foamy pink stuff, lots of dark red blood on ground. Tracked major blood loss, seeing spurts as well as drips, for 75 yards, then lost it. Maryland laws in the public I hunt say have to be out 1.5 hours after official sunset so I had to leave. Can't sleep, headed back in morning.

Thoughts or advice other than dogs? About 55 degrees right now.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

She'll keep fine overnight at 55. Sounds like a good hit. Good luck!
Thanks bud, thinking I might lose the fish, but like a kid in Christmas. Haven't had venison since april.

Good Job. Maybe take someone w/you. Usually better w/ some help, after you get frustrated.

From your story you just ran out of time.
i like the type of blood you found.
sounds like a definite type of ling hit.
just by your description i would be surprised if your deer is not a short distance from where you stopped
Please keep us posted and 55 degrees is fine.
its the yotes in my area you got to be concerned.
my daughter shot a deer last night and got down to meet her boyfriend.
she was sll of 30 minutes and the yotes started on the carcass already.
those dogs smell death from a long long ways off.

They got the hams.
15b8917d682c97a303fb99b090bed493.jpg

Rat basts.

Let us know how the hit turned out and how much further she was than where you had to stop. Good job sticking with it and finding her!

Rat basts.

Let us know how the hit turned out and how much further she was than where you had to stop. Good job sticking with it and finding her!
Another 50 yards through thick ****. Wound clotted and I got lucky finding her from the other side. Artery not boiler room. Lucky hit on a bad shot.

Congratulation on finding your deer. Damn Yotes are bad like that where I live. I've had yotes get on my deer within an hour of shooting them.

I've been thinking about picking up the hobby of hunting those little bastards.

Great job tracking your deer down, too bad about the cayotes getting to it first. Hopefully you can still salvage some meat. Lots cayotes in central Maryland public where I hunt also. What part of the state are you hunting?

Back