• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad bow from saddle

Robbo

Who hunts with trad bow from a saddle? How well does it work

Who hunts with trad bow from a saddle? How well does it work
I do.
It works pretty well. I've never shot a compound from a saddle but I kinda think that shooting over the bridge to the weak side would be easier with a compound. When I try practice shots over the bridge with my recurve, I habitually short-draw...not good.
I know some trad shooters with the same issue, to the point that they've added a clicker to their bow to assure a full draw.

I practiced it a couple of months back with a 68" longbow and had no problems.

I haven't been doing it very long but have had no problems to date. I just have to remind myself to check clearance with branches and my bow.

Did some hunting last year with the Long bow and Flint Lock, have to be mindful of branches and shoting can be a bit trickier than a compound.

68” longbow all last year, didn’t take a deer but no issues shooting from it in my practice. Not sure how you’d shoot off a climber or hang on with a long bow, seems like you’d bang the lower limb on everything.

Definitely doable. I've killed some good ones hanging from my saddle. Overall, I do prefer a treestand for traditional bowhunting though; I like the stability with my feet to ensure proper form. Just personal preference stuff. I too struggled like VT above with offiside shots and short drawing.

I've shot a 64" Widow from an Anderson since like 1972. Lots of deer with a pointy stick.
How upright do you sit? The bow I’m trying to use this year is 64” and I think I may need to sit/stand more upright to minimize bridge interference. I’ll check it out soon to make sure.

How upright do you sit? The bow I’m trying to use this year is 64” and I think I may need to sit/stand more upright to minimize bridge interference. I’ll check it out soon to make sure.
I guess I stand more than sit. I do cant my bow a lot.

The longer the bow, and the more it's canted, creates a larger "footprint" for bow clearance.
I firmly believe that it's better to shoot a vertical bow when hunting from elevated positions, IF the shooter is as accurate as they are with the bow canted.
Practice with a vertical bow and strive to be proficient with it in that position.

Back