• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad Life

Petrichor

Shot a trad deer out of saddle last night. Got on to blood late. 4 hours after shot was finding fresh bright red blood. Arrow as far as I can tell is still in the chest of deer it was 100 yards to first blood and over a 400 yard track thus far. Backed out and am headed back out with a buddy this morning. Arrow was sticking out of both sides as she ran off. Shot looked great arrow in deer looked great may have only gotten one lung with the angle. Shot was a 27 yard pure broadside. Will update later. First saddle deer first trad deer in 12 years of bow hunting. First time I’ve ever gotten to take a shot. Hoping for a recovery.

Hope you locate her. Do you know anyone w/a dog ? They are amazing to locate sign that you won't see.
No dog. Found a fletching. Got on the blood again and used all my time up. Then after failing to find additional blood we did a search pattern. No deer and out of time. Did right by the deer with the time I had.

At least you gave it your all! I had almost the exact same situation this past weekend. I think I ended up aiming too high after misjudging yardage with a lower poundage bow and arrrow on the heavy side. I had my dog and she took us on sporadic blood all the way to a property where the owners are less than cooperate with hunters. We saw crows going nuts in the area the deer ran and assumed that's where it was laying judging by a recent similar tracking situation with the crows going nuts.

Man, that stinks but it has happened to us all if you hunt long enough whether you hunt trad, compound or rifle. They are tough animals and don't want to give up. You may simply not have found a dead deer because it is still out there and will survive.

Back