• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad tracker!

KYhunter66

SH Member
Going hunting today opening morning!! in Ky will see how this thing works maybe! I tested it for awhile now works good so far. Any one used it before?? Jason from tbwpcast did review on it. Good hunting every one!Screenshot_20230902-052935_Chrome.jpg

My buddy had one on his bow in the 1980's until the time he shot at a decent buck and the string was paying out over a branch in front of him. Things were looking good until the string looped a twig and stopped the arrow short. He took it off the bow and threw it into the woods in a fit of anger, never to be seen again.

My buddy had one on his bow in the 1980's until the time he shot at a decent buck and the string was paying out over a branch in front of him. Things were looking good until the string looped a twig and stopped the arrow short. He took it off the bow and threw it into the woods in a fit of anger, never to be seen again.
Back in the day they used to recommend them for Turkey hunting with a bow but to me it seemed like a lot of bother.

I just like hunting in the rain some times! I was thinking it would help if you can't find blood.
Good idea. Shot a turkey with a recurve. Wouldn't have found em without the tracker string. Died in flight up in a tree. Shot a nice 8 point in which the string broke after about 60 yds. Blood ran short. Happened upon the string which led me into a deadfall he'd piled up on. Never had a bad experience. I do like these new ones too.

I think in Jasons video he broke the thread with his hands. I don't think that is good. I use the upgraded 30 lb test line for my tracker as the standard 17 lb can be prone to breakage.
As far as why use a tracker as Woodsdog2 asked....If hunting near thick cutovers, swamps with lots of water or somewhere you need a quicker recovery like on some public land, a string tracker is a good idea.
Jerry Russell, from Georgia, who is a guide and exclusively trad hunter, swears by one and has a good video on why/how he uses one....

I think in Jasons video he broke the thread with his hands. I don't think that is good. I use the upgraded 30 lb test line for my tracker as the standard 17 lb can be prone to breakage.
As far as why use a tracker as Woodsdog2 asked....If hunting near thick cutovers, swamps with lots of water or somewhere you need a quicker recovery like on some public land, a string tracker is a good idea.
Jerry Russell, from Georgia, who is a guide and exclusively trad hunter, swears by one and has a good video on why/how he uses one....

I just ordered one of these, if not for deer than spring turkey. Where do you buy your line?

Never personally touched one but I have a hard believing the thread he pulled apart with his hands would hold up to a back and forth between a number of abrasive barked trees.

Never personally touched one but I have a hard believing the thread he pulled apart with his hands would hold up to a back and forth between a number of abrasive barked trees.
I saw some videos of a guy in Florida who uses it on hogs. It held up through palmettos and much thicker woods than we typically hunt. I’m not saying it’s a guarantee but I was quite surprised myself to see it work so well.

I’m interested to hear how it works for you @KYhunter66 take pics if you can!

I'll be following reports on this tracker....I like the compact size and if field reports show the line to hold up then I'll be ordering one.....

Going hunting today opening morning!! in Ky will see how this thing works maybe! I tested it for awhile now works good so far. Any one used it before?? Jason from tbwpcast did review on it. Good hunting every one!View attachment 89865
I killed a deer using one in the 80s and got two lines of tracking when the arrow stuck in the ground after pass thru. Wouldn’t have mattered went 60 yards. Bear hunters used them back then and I get it. The lines were heavy and worked ok with compounds. I question the light line for tradbows,may break easily and defeat the purpose of the line in the first place. I know deer move in the rain but I usually won’t hunt in the rain because of blood trailing issues. I see too many issues with trad trackers. I’d opt out.

Following to see how they work for you @KYhunter66 !! Keep us posted. I’ve always been intrigued by them but have never felt the necessity.!

Back