• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traditional hunting arrow total weight?

MathewsShooter7

I am curious what the total weight of your arrows are in your traditional hunting set ups for whitetail? In my research, I see a lot of guys saying they are shooting some very heavy arrows for the penetration...and i see others say they have always shot 450gr or less with no issue in penetration. I understand shot placement/selection are a huge factor for penetration also. My total weight is coming in at 475gr w/ my set up, 156 gr total up front, w/ 20 gr brass weight, 11 gr insert and a 125 head, 29 1/4" arrow. Thoughts? Is this too light in your opinion? It kind of seems to me that i'm right in the middle of both schools on this but i am a newbie at playing with arrow weights/setups and looking for some feedback if i am in the right ballpark for a good hunting arrow setup that will get me good penetration. All that said, the bow shoots them fantastic and my Steel Force Premium 2 blades are right on...so really hoping to hear I am good to go with this setup. Thanks

Your arrow grain weight depends on you! I shoot a 540gr arrow , but could easily have same flight result from a 450 gr arrow out of my bow. I shoot 50-52# @ 28.5 inch draw length. 150gr head , 75 grain brass insert, 30 1/4in arrow . I shoot Magnus stinger 2 blades, and have 3x4 inch parabolic feathers. Fred Eichler shoots around 450 grains out of his bow, and lord knows that he has been successful in hunting.

I would not get to caught up with FOC, It is good information to know, but just bareshaft tune and shoot the arrow until it flies right, then like all things practice. You should be fine for hunting at your setup.

I would not get to caught up with FOC, It is good information to know, but just bareshaft tune and shoot the arrow until it flies right, then like all things practice. You should be fine for hunting at your setup.
Thanks! yea w/ shooting compound I never messed with this stuff much. I have an awesome bow tech and he got me set up as is...I just keep seeing alot of guys talking about shooting these 550-600+grain logs and thinking am i going too light or missing something?

I have shot deer with arrow weight between 516-550. And trad bows between 43-54 pounds. All have been either pass throughs or on one buck I caught shoulder and actually still got 10 inch’s of penetration. A well tuned arrow and a very sharp broadhead will make a bigger difference than a specific grain arrow. I prefer a 500 grain minimum.

475 grains is a reasonable weight arrow for white tails. I’d like to add that a well tuned arrow is just as important as the sharp broad head and shot placement.

I'm shooting a bow very similar to yours...~53# @ my 27" draw.
My arrow weight averages ~560 grains.
I shoot tapered Grizzly Stick shafts with 150 grain Samurai single bevel. It works well for me.
The rule of thumb has always been to shoot at least 10 grains per bow pound for most efficiency and a quieter bow.

I'm shooting a bow very similar to yours...~53# @ my 27" draw.
My arrow weight averages ~560 grains.
I shoot tapered Grizzly Stick shafts with 150 grain Samurai single bevel. It works well for me.
The rule of thumb has always been to shoot at least 10 grains per bow pound for most efficiency and a quieter bow.
I think i figured i was @ 9.2 gr per bow pound, so pretty close to that. I may order some 150 grain, would bump that number up some, and see how they fly.

I’m +/- 525 from my Centaur. 50@28 pulling 28.5. No problems putting a Simmons Treeshark through ones ribs. Your weight is good if well tuned and put where needed.

I’m +/- 525 from my Centaur. 50@28 pulling 28.5. No problems putting a Simmons Treeshark through ones ribs. Your weight is good if well tuned and put where needed.
I really could not be happier with the way i am shooting/grouping so good to hear. My 125 Steel Force Premium Original broadheads are spot on as well. like i said i was just concerned with being too light after hearing what a lot of guys seem to be shooting.

I really could not be happier with the way i am shooting/grouping so good to hear. My 125 Steel Force Premium Original broadheads are spot on as well. like i said i was just concerned with being too light after hearing what a lot of guys seem to be shooting.
You can kill elk with your rig.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am thinking of trying next year to go to Colorado and get an OTC elk tag. There is just a lot of logistics for me to figure out as well as e-scouting to do. But that would be awesome to harvest an elk with my recurve.
It can be overwhelming trying to pick a spot from back east but don't let it stop you. Go Hunt is a great resource to narrow things down to what you are looking for.

Generally speaking 8-10gpp is what most use. I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong answer as there are good and bad stories above or below that. Key I believe is tune. People find better penetration on longer shots for 2 reasons. 1. More relaxed animal 2. Arrow has more time to stabilize its flight. I'm shooting 483gr from 45lbs @30". It wasn't a goal gpp, just knew I wanted to shoot a 200gr head and the result is the result.

It wasn't a goal gpp, just knew I wanted to shoot a 200gr head and the result is the result.
[/QUOTE]

really good point!

Back