• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traditional setup.

Lalawman

Alright guys I’m ordering a custom bow and will be either 40 or 45lbs with a .500 arrow, 100grain insert (I believe) 5 inch left wing feathers. My dL is 28 inches and I’m trying to figure out what broad head to go with. Any suggestions on manufacture and weight? I’m looking for a very tough, solid two blade to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200 grain and cutthroats or grizzly stiks. Killed a few with a longbow with grizzly sticks and had great penetration. I’m using Simmons timbersharks this season.

I would definitely go with a cut on contact two blade broadhead and there are a pile of them to choose from. Zwicky's are cheap and have killed a pile of animals, or you can go more expensive and get heads that are a little more durable. Cutthroats and grizzly sticks as mentioned above both get pretty good reviews. Although I've never shot them I've also heard good things about Tuff Heads. If you go with a single bevel broadhead make sure that you get a left bevel to match your left wing feathers.

Last edited:
Iron will makes a killer head. Im shooting 3 blade this yr. Just not happy with 2 blade blood trails. Won't suggest a point weight, thats dependent on you and the bow.

I would definitely go with a cut on contact two blade broadhead and there are a pile of them to choose from. Zwicky's are cheap and have killed a pile of animals, or you can go more expensive and get heads that are a little more durable. Cutthroats and grizzly sticks as mentioned above both get pretty good reviews. Although I've never shot them I've also heard good things about Tuff Heads. If you go with a single bevel broadhead make sure that you get a left bevel to match your left wing feathers.

So I’m actually going with this setup that I’ve mentioned due to a EXTREEMLY well known traditional hunter here in Louisiana that would be considered today’s Fred Bear. The man to my knowledge is pushing close to 300 harvests with traditional gear and is by far the most humble and knowledgeable outdoorsman I have come across.

This is some of his info.

A tradbow for me is just a fun way to practice shooting and hunt with. I'm probably the least technical guy that shoots traditional that you could ask. One of the reasons that I shoot traditional is because it's really simple compared to a wheel bow.

Any bow will shoot out to 30 yards when shooting an arrow that's tuned for it. But, you have to remember hunting with a stickbow is all about how close you can shoot a deer, not how far. It's a lot different shooting a tradbow than it is a compound. As far as weight, most of the time less is better than more. I would suggest 45 to 50 pounds. My newest bow is 48 pounds @ 28" and I probably only draw 27". With a sharp, well placed broadhead it will kill as good as a 60 pound bow and a lot easier to shoot accurately.

Only three choices on a tradbow.... recurve, longbow or hybrid longbow. It's always a good thing to shoot as many different bows as you can before deciding. But, the interest in 3-D shoots has really declined in the past 10 years. You mentioned you "loved" the Tolke Whip that you tried it..... maybe you should consider calling the bowyer and talking with him. I'm sure that he could share lot's of educated opinions with you. If not, consider calling Tim Mullins at Acadian Woods bows. https://acadianwoods.com/.

I've been shooting one of Tim's bows since the '94 season. He's a great guy that makes a beautiful and functional bow. I know that he could give you some great advice as well as build you an awesome bow. Best wishes.

There's only one man I know of with that many trad kills who is that humble from Louisiana and he happens to be a member of this forum.

Also, I agree with pretty much everything he said. 40-45# is plenty for a whitetail and shooting a Trad bow is a pile of fun.

Is that so!? I had no idea he was on here. I have been following him sense the Bayou Bucks days and he is the main reason I’m going back to it and eventually hanging up my elite within two seasons from now.

I’ve had several trad bows but most were a struggle to shoot, weren’t properly tuned and I was lost with very little guidance so I gave up. Now with a little more knowledge and the funds to properly be able to do it my plan is to get to the roots of Louisiana trad hunting and continue down the same path he has been on for several years.

What I really need is a day or two to sit down with someone who truly knows the traditional archery world such as he does and get everything lined out so I can begin this journey!

Assuming we're both talking about Mr. Womack you've got a great mentor. I'm sure he will get you started down the right path. Good luck!

That’s exactly who I am talking about. Like I stated before, he is today’s Fred Bear for sure. The knowledge that man has is unbelievable for sure and I only hope that I can become a small portion of the outdoorsman that he is.

The bow I’m going to order is the Acadian Treestick @28 dL, idk what I want for draw weight, either 40 or 45lbs. Will probably go with 45lbs. Trying to figure out what I want for a quiver and broad head next. I’ve read a few different things about arrows per length and draw weight but I guess I need to see what length arrows I will shoot before figuring everything else out.

What are you’re suggestions?

If I was planning on getting one bow and sticking with it I would go with 45 lbs. Then your best bet is to get an arrow test kit from 3rivers. I start by finding an arrow that is just a little weak at full length using the point weight I want and then I start shortening it by a quarter inch at a time until I get an arrow that flies true. Personally, I would recommend a point weight of 200 grains or so, but the most important part is having a correctly tuned arrow.

I'm a big fan of Eagles Flight Archery quivers. I always hated a quiver on my bow because it felt unbalanced until I found the EFA quivers. They are so light you almost can't tell they're there.

Finally, I'm not sure I would worry about broadheads yet. You're going to be hard pressed to become proficient enough to hunt with a Trad bow this season. Or at least not at the beginning of the season. I would get some arrows get them tuned and start shooting. Your broadhead choice may change depending on how your arrows tune anyway.

Edit: but the best advice I can give is do whatever @WHW says. He's killed more deer with a Trad bow then I have seen when hunting with a Trad bow

Last edited:
Also if you plan on hunting out of state most states requires 45lb on trad bows for legal use to hunt with!!

So I’m actually going with this setup that I’ve mentioned due to a EXTREEMLY well known traditional hunter here in Louisiana that would be considered today’s Fred Bear. The man to my knowledge is pushing close to 300 harvests with traditional gear and is by far the most humble and knowledgeable outdoorsman I have come across.

A tradbow for me is just a fun way to practice shooting and hunt with. I'm probably the least technical guy that shoots traditional that you could ask. One of the reasons that I shoot traditional is because it's really simple compared to a wheel bow.

Any bow will shoot out to 30 yards when shooting an arrow that's tuned for it. But, you have to remember hunting with a stickbow is all about how close you can shoot a deer, not how far. It's a lot different shooting a tradbow than it is a compound. As far as weight, most of the time less is better than more. I would suggest 45 to 50 pounds. My newest bow is 48 pounds @ 28" and I probably only draw 27". With a sharp, well placed broadhead it will kill as good as a 60 pound bow and a lot easier to shoot accurately.

Only three choices on a tradbow.... recurve, longbow or hybrid longbow. It's always a good thing to shoot as many different bows as you can before deciding. But, the interest in 3-D shoots has really declined in the past 10 years. You mentioned you "loved" the Tolke Whip that you tried it..... maybe you should consider calling the bowyer and talking with him. I'm sure that he could share lot's of educated opinions with you. If not, consider calling Tim Mullins at Acadian Woods bows. https://acadianwoods.com/.

I've been shooting one of Tim's bows since the '94 season. He's a great guy that makes a beautiful and functional bow. I know that he could give you some great advice as well as build you an awesome bow. Best wishes.

@WHW is the man. Humble, and a stone cold killer(in a good way) pretty sure we've asked him to write a book at least once...

Try to arrange a visit to Warren's home at his convenience .. he enjoys meeting hunters and will give you more info in a few hours that would take you months+ otherwise. Have you seen the Push videos, especially the long one?

Mr Warren will get you straight. He helped me a lot on my trad journey. I don’t remember you from my Bayou Buck days. Did you still have the same name on that site.
Anyway. If you are just getting started, I’d suggest just tuning one arrow close for now. Once you put feathers on it, it will be plenty accurate to practice with until you develop your form. After you have a pretty consistent form you can go ahead and go back to bareshaft tuning and fine tune your arrow and make up a doz.
Did you order a Toelke? I currently shoot the Whistler. Good luck.

I have a 54” Tolke Pica that’s 48#s@28”. I absolutely love it. It is smooth. Shoots great. So compact and Dan is a great guy to deal with. He answered all my questions and even talked to him on the phone a few times before I decided exactly what I wanted. I went back to traditional 5 years ago and it made me realize how much I love shooting again. I didn’t do it because I needed more of a challenge or some BS like that. I think we all can agree that taking a whitetail with pretty much any kind of archery equipment is a challenge in itself. And I’m still learning every day. Sure, in the past 5 years I have lost opportunities on some really good bucks due to the limitation in not only my equipment but my own abilities and knowing my own limitations and as the years have passed I have become more comfortable and those limitations have decreased to an extent. There a lot of great bowers out there and you probably won’t go wrong with any of them. The best advice I could give is to either don’t overbow yourself and don’t spend a pile of money on your first bow...unless you get a bow that you can change limbs out on and increase poundage and even then it’s a crapshoot. In a year or so you might decide you want a longer bow or a shorter one or a different style. That being said, most of the good reputable bows really hold their value.

Mr Warren will get you straight. He helped me a lot on my trad journey. I don’t remember you from my Bayou Buck days. Did you still have the same name on that site.
Anyway. If you are just getting started, I’d suggest just tuning one arrow close for now. Once you put feathers on it, it will be plenty accurate to practice with until you develop your form. After you have a pretty consistent form you can go ahead and go back to bareshaft tuning and fine tune your arrow and make up a doz.
Did you order a Toelke? I currently shoot the Whistler. Good luck.

Rack Master. Back in my high school days lol. I’ve come quite a long way from there to Law Enforcement now. A2H is my aunt and JC Farms is my uncle.

No, next year I’m buying a whip from them but this year I’m going with a Acadian Woods and am ordering it tomorrow.

45lbs is what I keep leaning toward and want to go with a 500gr arrow with a 200gr broad head along with a 100gr insert if need be.

I'm using Grizzly Bruin 2 blade 125gr glue on and 125 broadhead inserts with 200 gr inserts in arrow 500 arrow shaft 28 1/2 700gr 30%EFOC 48 lb @25in Tuff head makes the 200gr inserts. Tuff head will be my new 2 blade 3 to1 blade.Screenshot_20200924-213526_Chrome.jpg

oh the hell you say. I'm in La, but was in a club in 'Bama when Joe and Nicole joined, and are still there now. Good people for sure, I miss seeing them. Everyone was on BB way back then huh lol? Hey Swamp, how you been?

edit..Hey Law you not that young man they brought with them to Bama a few times? Can't remember the relation.. maybe he was younger than you tho..

Back