• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Transition from spurs to platform?

WormyJames

SH Member
For the guys climbing on spurs and using a platform--How do you go about transitioning from spurs in tree to standing on platform? Do you sit into saddle and remove spurs then place feet on platform or do you keep one spur in tree while removing the other spur and then step onto platform with that foot and then remove the other spur before placing second foot on platform? Or maybe some other cool way I haven't thought of...
I am thinking about trying some spurs out this coming year so I haven't tried the transition yet but it seems like you would need to remove the spurs before stepping onto a platform or else the metal on metal situation could get a little sketchy -- It might get real obvious how to do it once I actually try it but till then I'm just interested in how y'all are doing it.
Thanks, Rick

I always stood on the edge of the platform with my toes and stuck one spur into the tree above the platform by a few inches before I unbuckled it and took it off. Then the other one the same way.

Just climb up to your platform and step on to it.

(Unless you are worried about a $700 custom paint job on your platform???)

Just climb up to your platform and step on to it.

I pretty much do that … just set the platform, climb onto it, get all gear set-up bow ready etc…. Then last thing I do is take off the spurs and hang them off the platform….

I just like to be ready to go first, then fiddle with the spurs last

Last edited:
Awesome! I appreciate the feedback and video--So I take it you ain't never had too much of a problem with the bottom of the spurs under your boots slipping on a platform?

Awesome! I appreciate the feedback and video--So I take it you ain't never had too much of a problem with the bottom of the spurs under your boots slipping on a platform?
You should where a boot with a good heel to climb They will help to cut down on contact to the platform

Back