• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Camping

robstewart

My journey to saddle hunting was separate from having watched a guy called treefool on YouTube a while back. He does tree camping either on a platform or in a hammock.

Saddle hunting got me into most of the gear and now I’ve circled back to the idea of tree camping again.

More specifically, I’m thinking about hanging my hammock 10-15’ up between two trees. I live and camp in black bear country and the idea of being a bear burrito hanging at normal height isn’t too appealing to me!

Anyone else done or though about doing tree camping? I’ve also considered it as a way get into a spot the night before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have watched a lot of his videos as well. He mostly uses a Portaledge which just hangs from one tether. With a hammock at height would it be difficult to get in? Would you have to climb 2 trees to attach each end of the hammock?

People hang Portaledges from cliffs in the Grand Tetons and the winds must be pretty fierce.

I've got wonder what the sway of the two tree trunks would be with even a moderate wind at 15' up. I think you'd find that the hammock would go from VERY taut to Very loose every other second. Portaledge or a similar setup in one tree would be better. I hammock camp in black bear country quite a bit. See them every now and then but they don't want anything to do with people for the most part. Good site selection and hanging you food are important.

I can think of like one black bear attack/fatality. A woman went to get her dogs who were mixed up with some cubs.

The only practical concern with black bears is them getting into your stuff.

A hammock at 10-15 feet is too dangerous IMO. If you are that concerned about black bear, I would look at Tentsile tent/hammock hybrid. The other option is to look at the cliff climbing structures.

I hunt in an area that has a high black bear concentration. Hang your food up/or place in another area. I will continue to hammock camp on the ground. Just make sure you have a lot of scent around your tarp and campsite.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A hammock at 10-15 feet is too dangerous IMO. If you are that concerned about black bear, I would look at Tentsile tent/hammock hybrid. The other option is to look at the cliff climbing structures.

I hunt in an area that has a high black bear concentration. Hang your food up/or place in another area. I will continue to hammock camp on the ground. Just make sure you have a lot of scent around your tarp and campsite.

I’m pretty sure @denots has a tentsile stingray though I’m not sure he would consider hanging it 15’ up. If I was that worried about bears I would sleep in the truck.
That said the people who brought us modern tree saddles over at new tribe make what they call a treeboat and some use it for treetop camping. https://www.newtribe.com/TBhome.htm

I’m pretty sure @denots has a tentsile stingray though I’m not sure he would consider hanging it 15’ up. If I was that worried about bears I would sleep in the truck.
That said the people who brought us modern tree saddles over at new tribe make what they call a treeboat and some use it for treetop camping. https://www.newtribe.com/TBhome.htm
I would most definitely trust that thing 15 feet up.

You would still have to have a ladder to get into the hammock (I would not trust trying to climb in from the support ropes) and put up a tarp, underquilt, and topquilt. If I was doing this 15 feet up, I would go the Tentsile route. Having said all this, I agree sleeping in the truck sounds the best option.

Probably three. One on each end for the supports and one nearby in the middle to actually get into the hammock.

I was thinking to start climbing one tree and attaching a climbing rope, then go back down and climb the second tree at attach the other end of the rope.

Next hang the hammock below that line and use the line to get into the hammock and stay attached to it.

I can think of like one black bear attack/fatality. A woman went to get her dogs who were mixed up with some cubs.

The only practical concern with black bears is them getting into your stuff.

I recall a couple years ago a guy and his son were hammock camping and the bear tried to grab the son out of his hammock and drag him into the woods. Dad attacked the bear and managed to chase it off.

A few years back a buddy and I were in my popup camper during the rut camp. He woke up in the middle of the night and yelled at me to quit messing with him thinking I was outside the camper leaning against his feet through the tent fabric. Boy was he surprised when I responded to him from the bunk at the other end. Turned out to be black bear leaning on him from outside the camper. Come to think of it he hasn't joined me at camp since . . . :)

Back