• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree hopper bolts

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
I’m planning to order 100 of these for preset set ups on private land . I’m 6’ 3” and have a long stride , I’m hoping 10 bolts should get me around 20-22 feet . What do you guys think ? Also thinking of running a platform with 3-4 of these around the backside of the tree so I can move around the hole tree

TNbowhunter

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Middle Tennessee
Probably more like 15 feet if you’re not stretching them out uncomfortably far apart. I don’t like running them on the back side of my platform because they get in the way of the strap and buckle for my platform.

Reactions: BackSpasm

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
With 10 screw in steps my tree stand platform is about 18 feet so I’m thinking by setting the platform a short step above the top bolt I should hit around 20 feet hopefully … I wish you could put some crab Ford steps around the strap for your platform . But then it probably wouldn’t bite wel

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I used bolts for years on private. I am 5'11" and I spaced the bolts at 20 inches. It took me 12 to get to 20 feet. Take a tape measure and measure from the floor to the middle of your knee cap. That should be about the proper spacing. Then it is just simple math to figure out how many you need for any given height.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
With 10 screw in steps my tree stand platform is about 18 feet so I’m thinking by setting the platform a short step above the top bolt I should hit around 20 feet hopefully … I wish you could put some crab Ford steps around the strap for your platform . But then it probably wouldn’t bite wel
You could get a couple of Squirrel steps or Pioneer steps and put them on the strap. Others have probably tried this and can chime in.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I’m 6’3 with a long stride. If the temp is above 50*, I can space steps 24” with no issue on trees smaller than 18” diameter or so. Once I add a thicker layer to climb, it limits range of motion. Also a bigger tree forces the bolts further apart and limits length between.

If you want to be safe for an average of hot/cold weather, go with 18” average.

If you want to stretch your bolts, and do less drilling, consider climbing with an aider. Way less of an advantage for presets because you can use a power drill. But if cost is an issue…

Reactions: BackSpasm

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
Yea I’d like to be able to stay on a platform for comfort reasons but want to be able to move around the tree to stay on oppesite side of incoming deer if needed

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
If you are doing presets with bolts and leaving them in have you tried using a ring of steps instead of a platform? If you are a sitter this will probably be fine, and you could do the whole installation at once and not have to bring a platform. It might be worth trying.

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
My feet are so big I just can’t see spending hours on little steps being comfortable . That’s my only dislike of a ring of steps

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
My feet are so big I just can’t see spending hours on little steps being comfortable . That’s my only dislike of a ring of steps
I was typing out that last response before I saw your last one before it. From my own experience, since I sit 95% of the time, only about 10% of my weight is on the bolts and 90% is in the saddle. The bolts are just a place to rest my feet and use as leverage if I want to move. I'm not using them for much support for my body. If you are a sitter and have not tried a ring of steps it might be something worth trying for an hour or so sit to see if you like it. They do look uncomfortable, lol. You could also get some rubber air hose and cut some short lengths to place over the bolts on a ring of steps to give them some padding.

Reactions: G4PSU

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
I’m definitely gonna look into it . Being I just ordered my first saddle lastnight . I still need to determine if I’m a sitter or a leaner

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Ah, I gotcha. Time will tell. Best of luck and I'll be happy to help with any further questions. I loved using bolts and wish they were legal everywhere I hunt. Where I can I still use them on private.

By the way, Treehopper sells bolt paddles. Bolt Paddle/Peddles | Treehopper LLC

You might want to ask around about these. I haven't used them, but they seem to be a neat idea.

John 35

May 19, 2021
I found cranford double fold steps easier to use than the tree hopper drill/bolts combo but I’d take either set up over sticks. I don’t even use bolts to preset any more I just use the same set of cranford steps and pull them every time.

NATHAN

SH Member
Nov 5, 2018
Very Southern Illinois
I am a preset guy. I use a step every 18" or less and put a ring of bolts around at height. I space the ring of bolts about 5" apart. To me, it's worth the extra $5 to have nice easy steps. I spaced them farther the first year or 2 and now I regret it.

Reactions: Wilgabeast

1simplemann

SH Member
Sep 6, 2014
I’m planning to order 100 of these for preset set ups on private land . I’m 6’ 3” and have a long stride , I’m hoping 10 bolts should get me around 20-22 feet . What do you guys think ? Also thinking of running a platform with 3-4 of these around the backside of the tree so I can move around the hole tree
Are you leaving them in the tree? or Pre- drilling the hole and leaving them at the bottom? I have 26 trees pre-set. I can give you some pointers depending on how your going to do it.

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
In area where only I hunt I’ll leave them . I’m other areas I’ll probably leave the top7 or so and pull the bottoms out for each time

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
I really like my 18 pre set tree stands for mornings so I can just walk in and hunt with no noise or much effort . But I really like the idea of the mobility and maneuverability of the saddle so is like the same set up for my saddle trees . Pre set

JFin15

SH Member
Nov 1, 2019
Central AL
10 bolts = 30ft with my aider. I carry 12 total usually and use 2-4 as a bolt-of-steps (BOS). I posted a link on here a few years ago to the place i bought my grade 8 6in hex head bolts. About one dollar each IIRC. Ive never used the treehopper bolts but im sure theyre better in several ways

Wilgabeast

Dec 3, 2021
Yea and they aren’t to much more expensive . Really like the idea that they will be real hard to notice for other hunters

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
Why not screw in steps? I used bolts for awhile and i will say they get super slippery when wet or icy. Screw ins right now at walmart are literally $1.50 a piece lol.
Screw ins do but usualy have a tread on the step part.
I had a friend who also used railroad spikes.
they work well but its loud and alot of work to get into tree.
Rebar is also a choice ive seen used

Reactions: Pilk64