• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree spikes legal in Michigan for public land?

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
"It is unlawful to use any item that
penetrates through the bark of a tree in the construction or affixing of any device to
assist in climbing a tree."

I could see how this looks like they aren't, but I'm not penetrating the wood to construct or affix a climbing device. I'm going to talk to my local DNR after this morning hunt.

I believe the law says that you cannot penetrate a certain layer (but I don't remember what it's called) which I think is the layer directly under the bark of the tree.

Pretty sure its illegal since you are penetrating the cambium layer to assist in climbing. Would seem by law it means screw in bow holder is legal, since your not using it to climb.

Cambium would be the layer, but that's only referenced when attaching a blind to a tree.

Guys have said it means anything, so bow hanger would be illegal as the intent is not having anything metal left in the tree whether intentional or not. Im not sure what if any long term damage is done by penetrating that layer. I know if you see a tree thats been climbed a time or two with spurs, its a real eye sore.

Guys have said it means anything, so bow hanger would be illegal as the intent is not having anything metal left in the tree whether intentional or not. Im not sure what if any long term damage is done by penetrating that layer. I know if you see a tree thats been climbed a time or two with spurs, its a real eye sore.

I haven't really seen that on the trees I have climbed. I have a poplar tree I use to test my setup on and have climbed it a lot and it really doesn't look bad. I tend to only hunt a tree 1-2 times in a year so I don't really think any lasting damage is being done to them. At least I hope not lol.

DNR? Because it doesn't say anything about it in the guidebook. Only connecting blinds to a tree or screw in steps.

DNR wasn't in his office, guess I'll find out some other day.

My nephew is a DNR officer and I asked him before I bought mine. He said they are illegal to use on state land in Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My nephew is a DNR officer and I asked him before I bought mine. He said they are illegal to use on state land in Michigan.

Interesting, I'd like to see a reference, I've searched through the wildlife conservation order and hunting guide and can't find anything that would say they are illegal. Of course it could be listed somewhere else.

It says it can't penetrate the cambium while affixing a device to aid in climbing. Is stepping on a climbing spike and driving it in considered affixing, even though it's immediately taken out again? The law is tricky.

I also E mailed the DNR through the website and got a reply that they are not legal before talking to my nephew.

I also searched the hunting guide and website for anything stating treespikes. And couldn't find anything. The E mail said that nothing could be used that penetrated the cambrium layer of the tree. It even went as far as stating that screw in bow holders and gear hooks was not permitted on state lands. I would post it but I deleted it last August.

I also E mailed the DNR through the website and got a reply that they are not legal before talking to my nephew.

I also searched the hunting guide and website for anything stating treespikes. And couldn't find anything. The E mail said that nothing could be used that penetrated the cambrium layer of the tree. It even went as far as stating that screw in bow holders and gear hooks was not permitted on state lands. I would post it but I deleted it last August.

Cool, I sent the DNR an email earlier this morning, so I'll post their response. It's not fair all these guys get to have fun climbing and repelling and we don't.

I know they are illegal in Illinois on public land,and I bet your DNR's response will also be that they are Illegal.Most states have a no bark penetration rule for public lands.And spike's certainly do penetrate the bark.

BC Hunter I guess we could still rapell down. But then it wouldn't be cool having to climb back up to get are assent system LOL.

BC Hunter I guess we could still rapell down. But then it wouldn't be cool having to climb back up to get are assent system LOL.

If you guys used SRT you wouldn't have to climb back up!

If you guys used SRT you wouldn't have to climb back up!
X2 Way to go Red! Tooting the horn that is rope access! If you hunt public land, spikes are illegal, and you already have the rope to rap out. All that's left is to get two prusiks, a set of foot loops, a throw line and a weight. The only better method IMO is climbing sticks.

X2 Way to go Red! Tooting the horn that is rope access! If you hunt public land, spikes are illegal, and you already have the rope to rap out. All that's left is to get two prusiks, a set of foot loops, a throw line and a weight. The only better method IMO is climbing sticks.
The only thing I would say to anyone interested in doing this is that it takes practice to get comfortable and effective. I also much prefer preset trees. I can use SRT pretty effectively in the early season but I struggle with it as it gets colder and my clothing starts to bulk up.

Back