• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree stand mod

GBlevins92

Would it be a sin to chop up this API alumilok to use the tubing in making some climbing sticks? And more importantly would it be safe... I have $10 in this stand so I'm not loosing anything money wise and I doubt if ever get used again as is

13d907c946146c52fb00fb79c28c248f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diy is never safe enough to tell someone else its safe to do

I'm a diy guy though. do what you wanna do

wall thickness will probably not be what you want it to be. My advice is keep intact, or chop into it to build a platform of some sort. or camera arms.

Those tubes probably will be too lightweight for a stick.

I think you'd be better off buying a set of climbing sticks.

Oh and not a sin but not worth cutting up. The aluminum would be compromised with all the holes in it. I would think it would hold up

I was concerned wall thickness might be an issue ..... I have lone wolf sticks I'm just not crazy about them I have a design in my head I think I could build that I would like better but I might just buy some tubing instead that way I know I can get the proper thickness

I wouldn't cut it up. Old hang on stands are good for presets as a platform. That stand and others like it turned me against hang on stands for a lot of years until I sat in a millennium. I was always a little angry and a little thankful when they went missing on public land.

If you're wanting tubing for climbing sticks you can have my lone wolf tubes (no hardware) that I have left over from a prior project. Just pay shipping and all 4 are yours. PM me if you're interested.

Back