• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tree steps

GregB

Aug 14, 2019
was wondering if you all thought 1/2 inch rebar would be safe to use as tree steps? i own the ground i hunt, im going to be new to saddlehunting this year and while i was waiting on my saddle i thought id prep some trees, thanks! really like this sight, ive set up my gear according to all your comments so i thank you all for that,wishing you all the best this season.

Kevin

Jun 19, 2018
OH
was wondering if you all thought 1/2 inch rebar would be safe to use as tree steps? i own the ground i hunt, im going to be new to saddlehunting this year and while i was waiting on my saddle i thought id prep some trees, thanks! really like this sight, ive set up my gear according to all your comments so i thank you all for that,wishing you all the best this season.

Kevin

Jun 19, 2018
OH
That's what I use on trees with no value like pine on the land that I own

Jimmyfunk60

Jan 4, 2019
I think it would depend on your weight, rebar is softer than grade 8 I believe I know I tried some half inch as there was a lot of drops of it at work and it bent fairly easy.. 3/8 grade 8 bolts are around a dollar a piece and work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregB

Aug 14, 2019
I think it would depend on your weight, rebar is softer than grade 8 I believe I know I tried some half inch as there was a lot of drops of it at work and it bent fairly easy.. 3/8 grade 8 bolts are around a dollar a piece and work well

i didnt know thats why i asked ,i know a bunch of years ago i used them and was fine but was around 152lbs and now im around 205. plus i didnt know 3/8 grade 8 bolts would be stronger than 1/2 inch rebar. thanks! how many inches would you put in the tree i was thinking 3 in and 4 out?

wildmanjohn

Aug 29, 2019
Florida panhandle
I thought you were strapping the rebar to the tree. Your weight issue is the same for me. This will be my first year to Saddle Hunt and have not found a method that works for me. At 67 years, I'm not in the physical shape as my earlier years and get tired after one climb plus sweating a lot. Bicycling and climbing practice will improve my physical condition over the two months before archery season.

Jimmyfunk60

Jan 4, 2019
You can make up a drill bit easy enough if u want to do pre sets with a drill.. buy a 3/8 bit and weld a stop washer on it at 2-1/2 or 3” get 6-7” bolts and go to town. I went that route at first because it’s cheap to see if I liked it.. I now use the trehopper mini and a set of there coated bolts... for my every year trees I will Carry bolts in and leave them.

Reactions: GregB

GregB

Aug 14, 2019
You can make up a drill bit easy enough if u want to do pre sets with a drill.. buy a 3/8 bit and weld a stop washer on it at 2-1/2 or 3” get 6-7” bolts and go to town. I went that route at first because it’s cheap to see if I liked it.. I now use the trehopper mini and a set of there coated bolts... for my every year trees I will Carry bolts in and leave them.

thanks, so the 3/8 bolts grade 8 will mbe strong enough?