• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree tether back up

Muskyhunter

I am looking into backing up my system.

1. I added a second prusik after my bridge hook up on the tail of my tether.
2. I then added a carineaner to my waist belt on my kite.
3. I then connect the prusik on the tail of the tether to the caribeaner on the waist belt.

For all of you veteran saddle hunters is this acceptable?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-082041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725-082041_Gallery.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20200725-082025_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725-082025_Gallery.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20200725-082007_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725-082007_Gallery.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 69
Looks like a bridge back up to me. If someone has had a bridge or tether fail I haven't heard of it? But if it makes you feel safer have at it.

Here’s my solution. Some may poo-poo it as unnecessary but with Oplux it’s so compact and unobtrusive that there’s no reason for me not to. Especially when I’m carrying the second tether anyway (to get around branches and such). This vid is from last year. I now have two identical Oplux ropes. Using a Kong Duck ascender on one and regular prusik on the other. In fact, the ropes lay even more compactly and less bulky than I show in the video. The key is to stagger your bridge lengths so the carabiners don’t touch each other and make noise. It’s your butt in the air. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel bad about wanting a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that you're backing up your bridge and not the tether. That said, there's nothing wrong with redundancy. And for what it's worth, I can envision a bridge failing before a tether (e.g. poorly tied webbing bridges?).

Would the carabiner be better placed around the entire waist belt? Just a thought. I have a kite coming in a week or two, so this is actually a timely post.

I agree that you're backing up your bridge and not the tether. That said, there's nothing wrong with redundancy. And for what it's worth, I can envision a bridge failing before a tether (e.g. poorly tied webbing bridges?).

Would the carabiner be better placed around the entire waist belt? Just a thought. I have a kite coming in a week or two, so this is actually a timely post.
I agree I am backing up my bridge not tether. Poorly worded. Lol. The reason for the caribeaner where it is, is to keep it centered between the buckle and slider. In the event my bridge breaks, i would be hanging centered versus to one side. I am glad you brought this up as I have been questioning it as well. Let see what others think.

Honestly, the setup you have shown above is likely not adding much protection because if your bridge actually failed, most of the force would be transferred to a plastic tri-glide slider buckle. This buckle is made to retain spare/slack belt webbing. I don't think it is intended to be load bearing.

That said, if you want to test it out, try hanging from your backup connection at ground level and see how it does... Just be prepared to buy/replace the tri-glide, haha.

Here's a different line of thinking:

In what situation do you envision your bridge actually failing? A static fall? Knife or broadhead cutting it? What exactly are you trying to prepare for and is it likely that it will ever actually happen?

Honestly, the setup you have shown above is likely not adding much protection because if your bridge actually failed, most of the force would be transferred to a plastic tri-glide slider buckle. This buckle is made to retain spare/slack belt webbing. I don't think it is intended to be load bearing.

That said, if you want to test it out, try hanging from your backup connection at ground level and see how it does... Just be prepared to buy/replace the tri-glide, haha.
It is metal not plastic but I definitely see what you are talking about. So running the caribeaner through my linemans loop be the best solution?

Here's a different line of thinking:

In what situation do you envision your bridge actually failing? A static fall? Knife or broadhead cutting it? What exactly are you trying to prepare for and is it likely that it will ever actually happen?
How this all started for me is I like to hang my pack from my tether so it hangs directly in front of me. Then i needed away to keep the tether tail from dragging across the pack when i would try moving around the tree. So I clipped it to my waist belt. Then I got to thinking why not use it as a back up.

You could hook it onto one of the bridge loops, if that's the case.

I thought maybe you were worried about a musky biting through your bridge while saddle fishing. :p

How this all started for me is I like to hang my pack from my tether so it hangs directly in front of me. Then i needed away to keep the tether tail from dragging across the pack when i would try moving around the tree. So I clipped it to my waist belt. Then I got to thinking why not use it as a back up.
I would discourage hanging anything from your tether. Get yourself a separate strap to hang your pack from.

Back