• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Tether Questions

SlimCookie

New fella here and 1st post. After lurking and gathering information. I now have a question around tree tethers.

being new to saddles and ropes in this manner (life support). It’s hard for my brain to wrap around (no pun intended) the security of a girth hitch for a tree tether. I have on order a 10mm Sterling static rope (ordered with my cruzr xc saddle).

What safety precautions or redundant setups could I use for a tree tether? Wrapping the tree twice girth hitch? The concern is how secure the girth hitch is and my brain tends to think it could loosen up and then slide down the tree.

New fella here and 1st post. After lurking and gathering information. I now have a question around tree tethers.

being new to saddles and ropes in this manner (life support). It’s hard for my brain to wrap around (no pun intended) the security of a girth hitch for a tree tether. I have on order a 10mm Sterling static rope (ordered with my cruzr xc saddle).

What safety precautions or redundant setups could I use for a tree tether? Wrapping the tree twice girth hitch? The concern is how secure the girth hitch is and my brain tends to think it could loosen up and then slide down the tree.

If it’s a true girth hitch, pretty sure the knot should only get tighter as tension is applied to it. I’ve never once had mine try to come loose or slip in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most climbing ropes will tend to stay in place a lot better than you think. However if you want a little more security you can simply wrap your rope through the loop twice. Much more practical than wrapping around the tree twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentally I just found a video from NY Saddle Hunter. ‘How to keep your tether where you want it’. That video answered my question as well as the responses on this thread.

I saw G2 put a nite ize gear tie around the loop, then around the tail end of the rope to hold it in place. I just started and when testing it out it seemed to work ok. Then I lost the nite ize. Now it just seems to work ok without it.

I stopped using a girth hitch for regular stand hunting attached to a full harness. I use a figure 8 loop.... carabiner... & prusik for around the tree...and then have a carabiner prusik attached to my harness.

I used climbers and had problems with the girth hitch dropping as I wanted to climb...

Im new to saddle hunting as well and will use the same for my tether...

Back