• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treehopper Steps. On-the-strap nesting

Nice idea! Could you not just eliminate the wings all together? It would slim the design down, and make stacking like you would with squirrel steps. How wide is 5 steps stacked together ? Would it fit in a dano dump pouch easily?

Nice idea! Could you not just eliminate the wings all together? It would slim the design down, and make stacking like you would with squirrel steps. How wide is 5 steps stacked together ? Would it fit in a dano dump pouch easily?
Everything has trade-offs. The wings add more side-pressure stability, but they do take a little more space to pack. If a guy really didn't want the wings, he could cut them off and it wouldn't effect the strength. Nesting on the strap does allow the steps to be carried without putting them in a pack or pouch.
When I carry a platform or ROS, I like to sling it over my shoulder. It's one less thing to mess with at the base of the tree and one less thing hanging on my saddle. Stackable steps offer one more carry option.

One nice thing about them nesting together like that is they won't be loose on the strap and prone to rattling until you are ready to deploy them on the tree. I haven't tried it but I could envision putting the strap loosely around the tree with the steps nested, then individually separating the steps and sliding them into position before the final cinching of the strap.

Are these steps available to purchase somewhere? I can not find them on the treehopper website or anywhere else on the interweb. Am I missing something?

Ok so they are not available for online purchase. Thanks.
Mark is waiting for the site manager to update the site.
Supposed to happen any day now.
But you can still buy all his products now. You just need to call him for the newest products. That will change soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tom, do you know the strap weight? 4.8oz. for the molded step is fantastic...almost half the weight of my Cranford rope steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cranford rope steps are HEAVY!

Cranford rope steps are HEAVY!

Relative to some other brands, yes! However, relative to 3-4 climbing sticks, they are still pretty dang light at 9.5oz. 10 of them will get me 25 feet high and only weigh 6#.

Relative to some other brands, yes! However, relative to 3-4 climbing sticks, they are still pretty dang light at 9.5oz. 10 of them will get me 25 feet high and only weigh 6#.

I hear ya, I used to have like 100 of them. They got annoying when the rivots rusted and they wouldnt fold anymore. Is 9.5oz with the rope? I seem to remember them weighing more than that--but I could be wrong.

I hear ya, I used to have like 100 of them. They got annoying when the rivots rusted and they wouldnt fold anymore. Is 9.5oz with the rope? I seem to remember them weighing more than that--but I could be wrong.

That’s a good question. I’m not sure if their advertised weight included the rope or not. I’ll try to weigh them sometime soon and report back. And yeah the steel components are a bit high maintenance. Mine are pretty new, so no big rust spots yet. I plan to spray them with some rustoleum before they start boogering on me.

Tom, do you know the strap weight? 4.8oz. for the molded step is fantastic...almost half the weight of my Cranford rope steps.

Mark will have 3 strap/buckles...
The OCB is for guys that want ROS, is a beefy buckle that weighs 8.6 oz. I have not handled it, but he says it has tremendous tightening compared to lighter OCBs. I guess it depends on what you are wanting. He wants to sell a heavier-duty OCB. You can buy just the steps and use your own strap/buckle.

The strap that comes with steps for climbing (as opposed to ROS use) is a lighter weight cam buckle because it doesn't have the stress on it that a ROS has. Mark has a thermal press that compresses (stiffens), tapers and melts the very tip of the strap so it's easier to thread into the cam. That strap weighs 4.6 oz.

The 3rd strap is for the Treesuit stand. It weighs 9.2 oz but is a hook-style cam.

Mark is waiting for the site manager to update the site.
Supposed to happen any day now.
But you can still buy all his products now. You just need to call him for the newest products. That will change soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Did I see somewhere on here that treehopper has a saddle as well?

Back